The beginning. Dave planned and figured and came up with the pieces for Jed's high chair.
a close-up of the grooves that the seat slides in and out of so it's adjustable.
getting things painted
All painted and ready to go...except the seat back.
The material I used for the seat back. I stumbled on the fabric on the left and knew it would be perfect trim for Jed's high chair. The white on the left is rip-stop nylon, the kind of fabric that is used on camp chairs, PFD's and the like. I knew I wanted to use it because it wipes clean easily and is virtually indestructable...but I didn't know it would be so hard to work with. It slid around a lot and made the sewing really hard.
Sewing the corner
Getting the "slot" pinned. Basically the back is like a director's chair, so it slides on and off easily for washing. I had to do most of the sewing on the wrong sides, then flip it and sew the slot on the right side.
Dave sewing the webbing for the leg straps
The leg straps as they are attached to the seat.
Voila! The finished product (minus the velcro, which still needs to be attached). Don't you love our blue garage floor?
Side view of the finished product
Jed in his new high chair. His legs are a little short to use the footrest just yet but it works like a dream. And he loves chewing on the straps while we get him hooked in! All in all, I thought it turned out great. Especially the price--it was much better making it ourselves for $70 than paying the $249 online!
2 comments:
ok,i'm really impressed! how cool!!!
Dave, that's awesome!! And holly, as always your sewing skills are enviable. Did you know you could buy the Stokke highchair cushion for like thirty bucks? Thought I'd mention it, but with skills like yours who needs to buy cushions
Post a Comment