Wednesday, October 21, 2009

mazel tov

With all of our squash and zucchini, we have been experimenting with different ways to cook it. Tonight we cooked the last of the fresh squash and zucchini (sigh) and we tried something new. I found a recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine that I had saved because it was the Christmas issue and I like to look at the desserts. Anyway, it was for zucchini latkes. Latkes are a traditional Jewish food made around Hannukah and normally they're made with grated potatoes. This recipe called for zucchini and I knew it would be right up our alley.

Zucchini Latkes
3 medium zucchini and/or summer squash
1 egg
2-3 diced green onions
heaping 1/3 cup bread crumbs
salt
pepper
oil for frying

Grate zucchini and/or squash. If doing solely zucchini, salt it and let set for 10 minutes. Squeeze zucchini to remove excess water and put in large bowl with remaining engredients. Heat oil in skillet, then drop batter by spoonfuls into oil and flatten. Fry about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve with sour cream or applesauce.

I must say, these were amazing. We love fried zucchini and squash and these latkes were a lot easier and less time-consuming than dipping individual rounds in egg and flour and frying. And I tried putting applesauce on them and it was so delicious. The different flavors, textures and temperatures were like a party in my mouth. I know it sounds strange, but give it a try. YUM.

For an anxious Nana and Grandpa Monte: Pictures of Jed are forthcoming. :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

wow Holly, I am salivating now. Thanks. ;-)