Argh! Do you have a pet peeve? I definitely do. My pet peeve is when people assume that because you're a mommy who stays at home and takes care of your family, you must want to take care of their family too! I have, in the past three weeks, had THREE people call me and ask if I will babysit their children.
All of them were ladies in our ward. One was a lady whose husband is a dentist and she needed me to watch her kids just for the day because she had to fill in for her husband's secretary. I really wouldn't have minded helping, but we were leaving for Big Piney. So I said no, sorry.
The second one was a lady who took me out to lunch. I thought, "Oh, how nice! My friend is taking me to lunch." Once we got sat down, she started asking about our schedule, what we do every day, blah blah blah. And then she asked me if I would like to babysit the two little girls she and her husband are adopting, because she is increasing her work hours to pay for the adoption. So....let me get this straight. You have prayed and hoped for children for the 12 years you've been married, and now that you are getting them...you're leaving them? And you want me to watch them? And you ask me out to lunch to ask me this, instead of just because you're my friend? I politely declined.
The last one was yesterday. Another lady in our ward called me up because her husband is sick with the flu and she doesn't want the kids she normally babysits to get it, so she thought I would like to take them for a week.
You know what I did? I told her no. Nicely--very nicely. And I was completely honest. I said "I don't babysit. I don't like it! My house isn't suited for babysitting--and neither am I." I didn't add that I just want to spend time with Jed, not chasing after other people's kids. I am not morally against babysitting--it's just something I choose not to do. I don't think people who babysit are lesser people or people who need babysitters are horrible parents because they leave their kids. It just isn't for me, either way. Being the leaver or the leavee.
But still...why do people think that if you stay home, you have nothing better to do?
3 comments:
Good for you!! Seriously...
I guess I won't ask you to babysit my hamster after all!
Kidding...
I'm glad you know how to tell people 'no.' It's a skill that some people just don't have. They need lessons from you.
Katie is one of them.
i could take a lesson from you! sometimes it is so hard for me to say no, even when i should...
you know what else i hate... when people assume that because your home all day that your not busy or you don't have other things scheduled.
my dentist called and said, "we had a cancelation today, and since your JUST at home with the baby, i thought i'd call and tell you so you can come down a week earlier that planned."
i'm sorry... i'm busy!
i wish i could sit around all day eating bon bons, but that is not how it goes. you know how it is, i'm working harder now that i have in my whole life : )
Post a Comment