Wednesday, November 11, 2009

cozy crocheted chapeaus

We have been crocheting fools lately. I like to have something to do with my hands while we watch tv after Jed's in bed, so I crochet. Dave has been learning and he gets better every day, so we decided to make some hats, since the weather seems to merit wearing them more often. We finished our hats earlier this week, and here they are:

(I know I showed off Jed's Hoot Hat a couple of posts ago. But this picture is too cute not to share!)

This is Dave's "oatmeal" hat. I made it. He kept trying and struggling mightily with the yarn, because it is a lot thicker than he's used to. I kept telling him "Looser, do it LOOSER!" but apparently, he has a loose definition of "loose." It isn't. So I did it, because sometimes I am a perfectionist and this was one of those times.

Here is my "flapper" hat. I am still not sure how I feel about it. I love the way the brim flips out, but I don't know if I love the holes. It is very comfortable though, and I love how floppy it is. So, I think I will be keeping it.

Here's Dave's hat that he made himself (along with his Uncle Rico pose, I guess). I am so proud of him for making this hat! He has been working on it for a while, unraveling and reworking when he didn't like how it was turning out several times. It is blue, then orange, then blue, then orange and then green. I love the pop of green against the blue and orange. Dave said he had to have that so he didn't look like (and I quote) a "denver donkeys" fan. And then a brawl ensued.
I love this picture of Jed and I, even if he isn't looking at the camera. He is SO cute in that hat that I just can't stand it. I love the way the tassels fly whenever he turns his head. A lady in the grocery store went crazy over it the other day. She asked me where I got it and I thought she might faint when I told her I made it. She was older and she said "I am so impressed. Young girls just don't have any skills these days." I resisted the urge to tell her that they're busy developing computer hacking skills instead.
Here we are in our hats. Now, if only it would snow!

No comments: