Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sometimes you don't

Sometimes, don't you just love your life? It's perfect. Your house is clean, your kids are happy, your husband always remembers to put the toilet seat down, you know exactly what to make for dinner.


And then, sometimes you don't. Yesterday was a Don't day for me. It was awful. Everything seemed to go wrong. We were in Big Piney, going through our stuff that is still there, deciding what else to take with us. Jed and I were directing traffic as Alan and Dave loaded and packed things. And then Jed puked on me. Yogurt barf, all over my clean clothes. And because we were already mostly packed, I couldn't change.

My hat is the only good thing about that outfit. The rest--literally--stank.
Then. We tried to leave Big Piney at 11:00 to get to a Surveyor Scherbel party in Afton at 2:00 (so, yes, I was going to a party in my yogurt-barf clothes). The truck wouldn't start. Dave and Ben tried jumping the truck for about 20 minutes. After cranking on the starter for a long time, they finally got it going.

at least it was a balmy 9 degrees while we were working with the truck!
They finally came to the conclusion that since it's been SO cold (-30 overnight), ice had made its way into our truck's gas lines. So we had to stop and fill up and put this special stuff in to make the water evaporate.

Then. We were hungry, so Dave picked up some chips and jerkey at the gas station to stave off hunger til we got to the SSLTD party. The jerkey was advertized as "moist and tender"...but it was the WORST jerkey I've ever eaten. Paper thin--you could literally read through it. Dave said "Moist and tender my foot--this jerkey is a meat cracker!" Meat cracker--for $5.99. yum. I am NOT putting that in my 72-hour kit.

Then. We were finally on the road and it was noon. Jed had fallen asleep. Dave and I were having a good chat. And, somewhere in Hoback canyon, our check-engine light turned on. For no apparent reason. Lovely.

Jed being such a good boy through our whole ordeal
Then. When we got to Afton (only 1/2 hour late!) we settled in for some bowling and pizza. Jed loved watching the pins fall down and listening to the music and crawling around on the psychedelic carpet and eating pizza. He climbed up to lean on a chair to beg for some pizza...and the chair swiveled and Jed crashed into the floor, bonking his head on the table leg.

fabulous bruise on our boy's head
Then. We needed to pick up a vehicle that Dave was supposed to be able to use for work, only to find out that a different vehicle has died. So now Dave has to use our truck for work because someone else is using the one he was going to get. And since we only have the truck... Sigh. Hopefully that problem will be quickly remedied.

We are home now. I got to go to a Relief Society activity last night that was absolutely wonderful. So much time and effort went into it and everyone was so kind to me. I am really excited about our ward. Today is a new day with no mistakes and troubles in it yet. In a way, I am grateful for Don't days because they remind me that the rest of my life is spectacular.

No comments: