Saturday, April 17, 2010

getting the garden going

For those of you just barely thawing out in the frozen north, I truly apologize for this post. I know, it's pretty rude of me to show you gorgeous green grass. Just think, when I'm sweltering here in May/June/July/August, you'll only be suffering through 90 degree temperatures. Okay, feel better?

We're actually BEHIND in getting our garden going. Every time we ask if a store carries seed potatoes, the clerk chokes back a laugh and says "Ma'am, those all sold out in February. We plant those around the end of February or the beginning of March. Ya'll aren't from these parts, are ya?" I guess we're buying potatoes and yams from roadside stands this summer (along with okra - yikes - and eggplant. I'm not that brave!). Anyway, Dave and a really nice brother from our branch tilled and raked the garden spot yesterday.

Jed was fascinated by the tiller. (I am a little scared of this boy's love of machines and anything mechanical. I can just see myself in three years, buying old clocks and radios at garage sales for him to tinker on and not being able to vacuum his room without first using a metal detector for lost bolts and screws.)
Here is our lovely garden spot. We were going to plant today, but it is raining as I type. Dave is planning on tilling in some fertilizer this afternoon if things let up and then we'll plant for FHE on Monday.

We are trying to help Jed understand that it's okay for him to walk now. We do everything we can to trick him into walking. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It isn't a matter of ability, it's totally a matter of desire. JED has the ability...WE have the desire. Sigh. Dave calls Jed's above moves "the Frankenstein."

What was I doing while Dave tilled (besides holding Jed back from trying to love the tiller)? Spray-painting our vent grilles, of course.

As you can see by the one on the left, they're disgusting. So foul. Initially we were going to junk them and get new ones, but my cheapness prevailed and we sprung for a $3.00 can of spray paint instead. They need another coat but they look so much better!

After we were done with the work, we took a tour of the yard while our chicken cooked on the grill. (We always did this as a family and I loved it. I don't know why. It was the yard, for Pete's sake. We saw it every day! And yet, there is something so satisfying about walking around your yard, looking at places that you've been working on--or that need work--and thinking "yeah, this is ours and it looks--or will look--good." It is especially fun after a vacation, when you can see how much your beans have grown or find new flowers blooming.)

We found Amaryllis blooming on the south side of our house. They are so gorgeous, this picture doesn't do them justice. Jed thought they were to play with.

I know I shouldn't post this next picture, but I'm going to. It's not for the faint of heart.

Apparently, I still have a lot to learn about living in Texas. Truly, I forgot about the honey stored in my cupboard this way. Thanks, ginormous roaches, for teaching me my lesson. Honey in a new jar? check. Roach traps set? check check. Don't come back now, y'hear?

Blech.

Just to cleanse your mind of that delightful image (sorry if you were eating breakfast), here's this:

No comments: