As much as I have tried to keep his exposure to a minimum, Jed worships the tv. I limit his tv time to an hour a WEEK, so he doesn't get much at all. And I want what he gets to be quality for him and also for Dave and I, since we usually share tv time with Jed. I found an adorable little show through Netflix and thought I'd tell you about it so you can like it too.
It's called Kipper the Dog, and, as you might suspect, it's about a dog named Kipper and several of his friends.
The show is based on a series of 34 books by the British author Mick Inkpen (isn't that the perfect name for a writer?). Kipper's personality is sweet and simple, he's a good friend, kind and generous and brave and imaginative--all great qualities I'd like Jed to emulate. If he's going to learn from tv, I'd like it to be good stuff! The animations are simple and not too busy, perfect for small children. The storylines are easy to follow and usually there's a surprise involved, so it makes for good discussion as we watch. Each episode is about ten minutes long, perfect for Jed's attention span. My favorite thing about Kipper is the voices--all the actors are British, so they're very sophisticated sounding, and one of Kipper's friends, Pig, talks with an awesome stuffy-nose voice :)
Jed loves Kipper. Every time we turn on the tv and bring up our Netflix queue, Jed gets so excited and actually says something that sounds a lot like "Kipper." If you're a member of Netflix, it's available to watch instantly, so you can keep it and watch it over and over--just like us.

1 comment:
Have you tried any "Shawn the Sheep" episodes? They're also British and done by the same people who do Wallace and Grommit (sp?). My sister-in-law uses them with my niece, and I even enjoyed them while I was in Germany. I think they're only 7-10 minutes long.
Post a Comment