Thursday, February 24, 2011

Recipe of the Month

I've really been a-slacking on this blog lately. In my defence, though, I've been busy crossing things off my eternally growing to-do list. My latest conquest is my recipe book. I've added new receipes, deleted crappy or never-eaten ones and reorganized the format. I'm so happy with the way it turned out.

I also went through all the files I've accumulated while I was teaching Relief Society preparedness classes. I would love to share these with you if you're interested. Leave me a comment or shoot me an email and let me know if you would like a copy of any of the following:

My recipe book

Beans for a Better Life handout--how to cook, can and use beans easily, plus recipes

Great Grains--information on wheat, rice, barley, and oats, plus recipes

6 Food Storage Myths--just a good reminder of what we may tell ourselves about storage and why it's a sad joke

Just Add Water--using powdered milk and powdered eggs daily. It's easier than you think! Includes recipes

Alternate Methods for Making Yogurt--I finally got mine to work consistently, yay hooray!

* * *

And, here's this month's recipe:

Winter Squash Casserole

1 winter squash, turban or butternut preferred
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 ½ cups evaporated milk
1 ½ cup Monterey cheese
1 ½ cup whole-wheat pasta

Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place squash halves on a cookie sheet and poke with fork in several places. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 200 F for approximately 3 hours, until squash is very tender. Scrape squash out of hulls with a spoon and store all but approximately 2 cups for later. Cook pasta in boiling water until done. In medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour; add milk gradually and allow to thicken. Add roasted squash to thickened milk, then stir in 1 cup cheese. Drain noodles and add to squash mixture. Place in sprayed casserole dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is done, at 350 F.


We love the cheesy goodness of this recipe. It's prefect for a dreary winter day--not that we've been having many of those around these parts! Okay, it's been cloudy, but soooooo warm. My pear tree has blossoms and peas, carrots and lettuce are poking up in the garden. I am so in love with this rediculously warm February weather!

No comments: