Wednesday, March 30, 2011

our front yard

We have done a bit of work in our front yard over the winter, and now it's starting to pay off. It's not as great as our back yard, and we have more work to do, but I'm pleased with it so far.
*
There used to be an ugly, smelly boxwood hedge in front of our front door. I hate hedges in general, but the fact that ours stank of cat pee (not from our cats--it stunk even when we were looking at the house to buy) and constantly needed to be trimmed was more than I could bear. We pulled it out in November and had bare dirt while I decided what I wanted to plant.

Right now we have crocus and daffodils blooming and some stargazer lilies coming along nicely. I have planted some coneflower, blanketflower and daisy seeds, but I'm not sure what's going on there. I may have to buy some starts. There's also a dead mum trying to make a comeback. Go, mum, go!

These are my favorite kind of daffodil
*
In an effort to have some more color, I also planted inpatiens, begonias and some other flower I can't remember the name of in some pots by the front door.
I think they look really good. I love the purple, white and red together.
*

Like I said, not as thrilling as our back yard, but coming along nicely. I would show you more, but I'm embarrassed. Last summer, after our azaleas got done blooming, I whacked them back a bunch and they've gone into shock. They're pretty much dead sticks.
*

Win some, loose some, right?

No comments: