Wednesday, July 20, 2011

photography prop hats

After lots of hard work, my awesome cousin Stephanie is opening her own photography studio. I am so excited for her! When she asked if I'd be willing to make her some baby hats for props, I jumped at the chance.

There is a lady in our branch who is an avid crocheter, and when she learned that I crochet too, she offered me some of her yarn, because her husband is afraid he will die surrounded by yarn. He keeps begging me to take more and more. So I knew she'd be happy to give yarn for this project.



The above two hats are single crochet; the rest are double crochet.











Since some of the hats are plain, I wanted to make flowers to pin on them. I found a great website and Etsy shop (run by the same delightful girl) with free patterns, tutorials and some inexpensive, adorable patterns. If you like to crochet at all, you should definitely check them out!



I love these big flowers. It was so fun and easy to make them...I found myself thinking of all the little girls I know who might want a crocheted flower for their hair.

To make the flowers interchangeable for the hats, I just sewed a safety pin on the back. I figured it doesn't need to be incredibly strong, since the hats will only be on for a few minutes while the baby is being photographed; when I make this for an active child, I will have to come up with a better solution.



I LOVE this little rose. It's so adorable--and best of all, easy to make.




I think this combination might just be my favorite of the bunch.

So, hopefully this explains my bloggy silence for the last few days. It has been so nice to curl up with my yarn and enjoy Monk on Netflix, but I am ready to get back to the real world!

No comments: