Tuesday, September 20, 2011

while we were waiting

Last Tuesday Dave had a doctor's appointment. He is such a healthy horse that it had been since his mission physical that he'd seen anyone. Ten years is just a little too long, in my opinion. Jed and I went along because we are dunderheads and like to sit in waiting rooms.

Just kidding, it's because we were going to do some shopping afterwards! Since our insurance is picky about which doctors we can visit, an appointment also means an hour's drive, which means combining trips so as not to waste gas.

Jed failed to understand that we were waiting for Daddy. I really didn't want to take Jed into the examining room (oh, the joys of saying "Jed, please don't touch that" umpteen thousand times while trying to have a meaningful conversation with the doctor) and I knew he'd have more fun playing with the trucks I'd stashed in my purse. However, Jed was heartbroken to see Daddy go somewhere he couldn't follow. I kept telling him that Dave would be back, but after 50 minutes, it began to seem like a lie, even to me.

We drew on the notepad in my purse and practiced our shapes. We played trucks. We almost went to the bathroom, but them we remembered how scary those automatic toilets are. We played with dirty waiting room toys. And we wandered around and stared at sick people. Finally, even staring got boring. So I pulled out my camera and let Jed look at all the saved pictures. He discovered the flash, and that's where it got really fun.















Finally, Dave returned with a clean bill of health and we were able to get on to with the day. Thank goodness for modern technology! The only thing better than that would be a doctor who would still make house calls.

No comments: