First off, we had to drive across the Mackinaw Straits via the Mackinaw Bridge. I was really excited about spending a week in an air-conditioned hotel, not doing any cooking, lots of swimming, but the thing I was most excited about was driving over the Mackinaw bridge...
...and seeing Mackinac Island from a distance (where they filmed the movie Somewhere In Time and is the location of the Grand Hotel).
I was so disappointed that I forgot my binoculars so I could see the hotel up close. I know this makes me a huge dork, but I spent a long time being completely obsessed with Somewhere In Time (how can you not, with the fabulous costumes, gorgeous location, and--hello!--young Christopher Reeve?) and it has been a life-long goal of mine to visit the Grand Hotel. I was really delighted to be SO close to it. And Dave has promised me that before we leave Michigan, he will take me to Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel. What a guy!
We all really enjoyed driving over the bridge. There are two lanes on each side, and instead of cement in the center lanes, it's metal grating and supposedly you can see the water below. We tried this out on the way back and it wasn't as fun as being in the outside lane and looking over the edge.
On Sunday we just hurried to get across and get to the hotel before midnight, but Friday, we took some time to enjoy the view on the U.P. side of the bridge. It was truly a beautiful sight.
We also visited the park that is below the bridge. There is a replica of the fort Michilimacinac that you can tour, a lighthouse that you can climb to look out over the Straits and lots of other things. We were all tired and hungry so we mostly chased seagulls and just walked around. It was so much fun!
We also spent a little bit of time in Mackinaw City. We had dinner at a great restaurant and bought some yummy fudge and saltwater taffy at one of the many candy stores in town.
Seems that Mackinaw fudge and taffy are must-eat items in Michigan. And we're happy to oblidge!
No comments:
Post a Comment