Holy cow! I haven't posted anything here forever. It
feels like there's cobwebs and dust in here. Please forgive me for not keeping you updated. I have been having a bit of a hard summer emotionally, and then September was an absolutely
crazy month, full of unexpected travel and new adventures. Our laptop's fan died and I could only spend about 10 minutes on the computer before it would overheat and shut down. I think we finally got our troubles solved--everyone is at home, we're all in once piece, the fan has been replaced, and I am feeling wonderful. So now, I'm
back and ready to share everything with you.
Jed headed back to school on September 4th. It was so bittersweet for me to send him. I have really enjoyed having him home, and yet I struggled keeping him entertained all summer long. It was a colder, wetter summer than we've experienced in a long time, so we didn't get to play outside as much as I wished. Jeremy had moved away, so Jed's main playmate was Hank, and while they are doing better, they still have normal squabbles and their skill-sets are so different because of their ages. I was also sad to send him because Dave had left for a work detail in Utah two days before, and I was feeling a little sorrowful for all of us, missing out on being together for something big. Thankfully, Aunt Hannah was here to keep us company!
Jed was so excited to go to school!
Hank was a little confused about where Jed was headed, but he is always game to be in a picture.
Here are a few cute pictures of Jed from right before school started:
The Sunday of Labor Day weekend, Dave had to work all day long. I took the boys on a walk after our Sunday naps and we went down to the river. Labor Day weekend was actually the nicest summer weather we'd had basically all summer, so it was gloriously warm. When we got to the river (after running through CLOUDS of mosquitoes) the boys wanted to wade...which quickly turned into them getting fully immersed in the water. Jed told me he wanted to swim "like an alligator" which actually meant in the nude, but since there were lots of other people there, I denied him that pleasure. He was a pretty good sport and both he and Hank had a great time splashing around.
Jed is SUCH a water boy! He loves, loves, LOVES to swim. He is absolutely fearless in the water. I am sad we didn't have a warmer summer so we could spend more time at the beach.
I really have no idea what to say about this picture. Jed was getting dressed for the day one morning, and this is what I found when I went in to check on him.
I think it's safe to say that while Jed has enjoyed the first month of school, he would rather not be there. He really enjoys riding the bus, playing at recess, and eating lunch in the cafeteria. He doesn't enjoy the faster pace of kindergarten. Jed is not that much of a self-starter, to put it nicely. He loves it when someone will hold his hand and encourage him, and his teacher simply can't do that all day long. Some of his little coping-mechanisms surfaced when school started, and he began humming more and retreating into what we call "movie talk"--speaking only in movie lines. After only a week of school, we headed to Colorado for my grandpa's funeral (more on that later). I would have preferred to keep Jed in school and go by myself to the funeral (not that I wanted to leave the boys behind, but I figured it would be better to stick to the new routine); however, Dave was still in Utah, so there was no one to leave the boys with. I love and trust my friends but couldn't ask them to take on my boys for several days while both of us were SO far away. I was very worried about Jed when we came back--that he would be behind, that his issues would become more exaggerated. However, at Jed's IEP a few days after we returned, Jed's teacher said that some of the issues seemed to have disappeared! In the 3 weeks that have elapsed now, he seems to be doing even better. He is actually willing to do some homework, he LOVES art class, he knows more of his classmates' names. I have very high hopes for my smart, marching-to-his-own-beat boy.
1 comment:
Glad you are doing so well and that the trip helped Jed! Love you.
Post a Comment