Monday, April 6, 2015

the boys being boys

Here are some random pictures of my funny boys. I love them dearly!
 Sweet sleepy Hank after his nap, with amazing bed-head. He always has awesome bed-head. Today I told him "we need to comb your hair so you don't look like a ragamuffin!" He said "what's a muffin?" I told him "a ragamuffin is a person who doesn't comb his hair." He let me comb his hair and I held him up so he could see himself in the mirror. He got a big grin and told me "I not a muffin!"
 Two handsome guys with glasses (plus Hank with his beloved Mack). Dave and Jed both got glasses at the beginning of February. Jed mainly needs them for reading and things up close, so he takes his case to school each day and keeps them in his cubby during recess and gym. We have had to have many talks about treating glasses nicely because they are expensive. Dave jokingly told Jed "if you lose or break your glasses, we might have to sell some old toys to help pay for new glasses." A day or so later after this discussion, Jed came home from school with every zipper open on his backpack and no glasses. I asked him where his glasses were and he got this enormously panicked look on his face. He shut himself in the coat closet and started to sob. I got him out and snuggled him on my lap and asked why he was so sad and he said "I don't want to sell my toys! I love my toys! I'm so sorry I lost my glasses." Poor guy! We said a prayer that his glasses would be found easily, and I told him they had probably just fallen out on the bus, and sure enough, the next morning, Miss Amy had them waiting for him when he got on. It was a good lesson for us all.
 During one of our many "inclement weather" days off of school, the boys and I built a tent in the living room. We had more fun building it than playing in it, as usual.
 Hank loves to wrestle. Here he is modelling his valentine's day shirt and wrestling with Dave's legs on our bed.
 Just smooching.
 Hank still has no interest in potty-training, but the froggy potty has come upstairs because when we have play-day at our house (on rotating tuesdays) a couple of his little friends need it. And apparently Hank's bear needs it too.
 Two Fridays ago it was pajama day at school. Jed was so excited to wear his minion pajamas! He told us the night before he didn't want to sleep in them because he wanted them to be "ready for school."
Jed FINALLY lost one of his front teeth! It had been getting more and more loose, eventually dangling by a thread and turning gray and gross. Jed refused to eat with his front teeth because he was scared it would come out. So Dave tried the old floss trick....and it didn't work. We wiggled it for another day or so, and then I grabbed Jed, tucked his arms inside his shirt, held his head in one arm and pulled out his tooth with a tissue. Victory! Jed was so pleased. That night, when I went to check on him before going to bed myself, he was still awake, waiting for the tooth fairy. He asked me "mom, when is she going to get here?!" I told him "the tooth fairy is like Santa, she can't come until you're asleep. She'll have come in the morning." Sure enough, the next morning, there was a sparkly quarter under his pillow!

I can't believe how quickly the boys are growing into fun people to be around. Of course, there are plenty of moments when I want to pull my hair out, but they are getting fewer and farther between. We are able to play more games, read longer stories, and generally have more fun together now than ever before.

No comments: