Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Keeping busy and our feet on the ground!

Last weekend was another grocery weekend. Since I'm not too big a fan of the options for groceries in Burley, we made our way to Twin Falls. I am sure that Twin Falls can be a lovely town. They're building a temple there (I know cause we drove by) and it's beautiful. But I am not a big fan of Twin Falls. Every time we have been there, we have about been blown away. This time was no difference. There we were, obediently stopped at a red light, when a HUGE gust of wind blew by and rocked our truck like we were Elvira Gulch on our bicycle. Even the Lincoln Towncar in front of us hadn't a prayer! Anyway, Dave and I have made a solemn vow that unless we're offered a job that includes a million dollar yearly salary and a lifetime supply of chocolate Easter bunnies (or something), we won't be moving there any time soon.

Despite its downfalls, Twin Falls does boast some pretty cool scenery. I guess God figured He had to give people some reason for living there. As I mentioned, we drove by the temple, and it is absolutely gorgeous. We also went to a cool city park called Shoshone Falls. I hadn't expected it to be as cool as it is, but as you can see from the pictures, it truly is a sight to behold. There are about 5 different levels of falls, as you can see from these two pictures.

Here is Dave, trying to hold on for dear life to his awesome hat (he made it himself).

This is the amazing Snake River Gorge. I am not sure how long it goes on like this, but it is really impressive. Almost makes me want to know a little more about geology, so I could tell you what kind of rocks they are and everything. I think they are some type of basalt, but I don't think I could go in front of a jury with that.

Hope you enjoy the falls as much as we did. And be thankful you don't have to be buffeted by the wind like we were!

After we came home, I got back to work on one of my many projects I've been working on. I have been making baby hats and mittens with our ward humanitarian project and it has been so much fun. It is really easy--you can make a set in about an hour. Anyway, I thought I'd let you see the cute fabric I get to work with and show you how it's done. I think that the pattern is available through the lds.org website, but I'm not positive on that. So, my creations: These are what you start out with--4 hat pieces, 2 ear flaps, a tassel piece, 4 mitten tops and 2 pieces of ribbing for the mitten cuffs.

Sew two of the hat pieces together, and then the other two. Cut the tassel. Then sew it together down the middle, like a sandwich.

Turn it right side out and you have the top part of your hat. Then, you sew the ear flaps together, invert and pin to your hat body. After sewing, turn it right side out and you have your hat! Finished product

For the mittens, you sew the halves together and the ribbing together, then pin and sew. They don't have thumbs (they're for babies, after all) so they're super easy. I love this fabric combination.

These are the other ones I have finished:

These remind me of Sherlock Holmes.

And these remind me of a hunting hat. I think they're so cute. And while I'm sewing them, I like to think about the babies who'll get to wear them, and how happy their moms will be that they have something so cute to wear! After all, warmth and fashion should always go together!

1 comment:

Roundy Family said...

Those hats are so cute!! And it looks like you had fun in Twin Falls, maybe someday I will have to ask my cousin why they live there just to answer your question.