Wednesday, November 19, 2008

cozy winter chapeau

Since our baby is going to be born in December, I have been thinking that he is going to need a cozy hat. I have had the style of hat that I wanted to make in mind forever, but I had to look online for a basic pattern because I only know how to make Big Boy hats. I found a good one that I liked, but I had to modify it because it was really small, and because it didn't have the ear flaps like I wanted. So I made some alterations and came up with a pattern that I love.
Anyway, our boy now has four extremely attractive chapeaus to wear, and he will be the handsomest kid...ever. Mostly because of the tuft and the ear flaps, which happen to be my favorite parts of the hats. So Cute!


I have been told that these hats remind people of trappers, mountain men, etc. Which is a funny coincidence because the names we have chosen for our boy are both mountain men/trapper names. I guess this makes sense because Dave and I are sort-of earthy, back-to-nature types. Okay, not sort-of, we are. So much so that we are using cloth diapers for our baby, use cloth grocery bags when we go shopping, recycle everything possible, compost, Dave rides his bike to school... I digress. But anyway, we really aren't tree-huggers--Dave even likes to cut them down for bows. However, we are going to try to raise this boy in an environmentally friendly way. Mostly, we're just cheap. But if cheap keeps this planet going a little longer, that's okay with me!

2 comments:

Janette said...

Those are so cute. I wished that you lived closer so that you could either make some for me or teach me how to do it!! I can't wait to see your little guy!! Good Luck with the next little bit, it's the hardest.

Becca said...

Holly, its Becca again! I just left a long comment on your last post, before I actually looked at the rest of your bog and before I even realized you were pregnant! Congratulations! When are you due? What are the mountain men names you are thinking of!? And I confess that I also used the cloth diapers and cloth grocery bags! :)