Thursday, January 22, 2009

Feet and Sleep

When Jed was born, everyone commented on how big his feet are. We measured his feet against his cousins' Dave and Don when he was 4 days old and Jed's were bigger! Crazy! As he has grown, his feet have kept up. They are such adorable feet and I love to tickle and kiss them. Jed's toes also look EXACTLY like Dave's. Have a look:



Jed was a month old on Tuesday. I can't believe he is so old already! He has grown a ton and is developing a definite personality of his own. He always has his big eyes wide open, taking in his surroundings and absorbing everything that is going on. We have been reading stories every day and it is so cute to see him look at the colors and lines with such rapt attention. I love to watch him look around at new things and get so excited as he tries to comprehend them.

With all this interest in his surroundings, though, Jed has started to have a lot of trouble going to sleep lately. He simply can't relax and turn himself off. At night, we solve the problem by turning all the lights off in the bedroom, rocking him until he is relaxed and then put him in his crib. Daytime is another story. Sometimes Jed gets so exhausted that he just cries and cries. It makes me so sad--I hate to see him frustrated and overtired. Any suggestions on helping Jed relax and "turn off" would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

breanneryanmurray said...

I learned this trick at the Daycare I worked at (it even worked on colic):

1. Swaddle him as tight as you can. Make sure his arms are secured (so he can't wiggle them out. This helps him feel comforted, like in the womb).

2. Hold him up tight to your chest with his head close to your neck crease.

3. And "double pat"... his back and his bottom one after the other like your burping him, not at the same time but... back, bottom, back, bottom, etc. pretty quickly. Slowly slow down the patting.

4. And most importantly don't let his crying get to you... you have to stay very calm, then he will feel your energy and eventually settle down.

I also tell Heather Shh Shh Shh very softly, I think it is like the white noise thing, that works great too. Each time you do this is works faster and faster. Now if Heather gets hysterical from being over hungry or over tired, I'll do this and she calms down right away!