Saturday, June 20, 2009

Camp New Fork

After my parents and Hanna's visit last weekend (which I'll be blogging about shortly), Jed and I had the chance to go to Wyoming and Camp New Fork so I could do some training with the new Handicraft staff. I was the Handicraft director there last year and really loved camp, so I jumped at the chance to go back & train, even if it was a looooong drive over. Jed was a really great traveling companion and he did pretty well at camp. Just not well enough to make me want to stay for the summer!

Welcome to Camp New Fork!

Kirk, Jed and Eileen (the new Handicraft director) discussing something really important.

The trees in and around New Fork have been hit really hard by pine beetles. Most of the trees around the lodge were dead, so last year after camp was over a crew came in and cut them down. It is so hard for me to believe that this is where our picnic tables used to sit--where the staff ate dinner every night and the site of many water fights!

A very rainy flag ceremony. I love flag ceremonies at camp. They have such an air of reverence and solemnity about them--something definitely rare at camp. I loved saying the Pledge of Allegiance, the Scout Law and the Scout Oath every morning.

This is one of the smallest puddles at camp. It rained almost every minute Jed and I were there. Not just gentle rain--gully-washer rain! It was great though--we need the moisture so badly!

I took this while I was driving--hence the crooked frame. So many people think the Tetons are the be-all and end-all of mountains in Wyoming, but the Wind Rivers are so much better. Gorgeous and remote. Let the tourists keep the Tetons--it keeps the Wind Rivers unsullied for the rest of us!

This picture absolutely does not do it justice, but along the road between Dubois and Spencer, Idaho, the median was a sea of beautiful Scarlett Gilia. It was breathtaking.

I got Jed some little shoes while I was in Pinedale with my lovely friend Serena (we had to go sample the fare at the Chinese Moose, our favorite chinese restaurant).



Jed wore the shoes for about 10 seconds, then decided they were GREAT to chew on. They make such a funny squeaky noise that I really can't blame him for loving them with his mouth. And since they're so soft and foamy, the must feel really good on sharp little teeth. Well, I always knew Jed would love shoes as much as I do. I just didn't know the reason!

No comments: