Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ready for Anything?

We have been thinking more about our food storage lately. I went to a really great seminar with my mom while we were in Utah last time and the lady who gave it spoke on the importance of having a 90-day supply of more "ready to eat" foods, plus a year's worth of long-term items. Dave and I set a goal to get our 90-day supplies stored in 3 months (a month for each for breakfast, lunch & dinner). This month is our breakfast month.

We decided to have 7 breakfasts we would eat on a regular basis and 3 meals we could rotate in for a change of pace to prevent food fatigue. We wrote down the breakfasts we like, like waffles, breakfast burritoes and oatmeal; figured the ingredients needed to make the meal once and multiplied by the number of times we'd be having the food (theoretically) in 90 days.

(sorry, my scanner isn't working, so you get pictures of our list)
Then we added up how much stuff we would need.

It was actually pretty shocking to me, how much food we would use for breakfast alone for 90 days. 42 pounds of flour! 8 1/2 cups of dry milk! 9 dozen eggs! A whole brick of yeast!

I am glad we did it though, because it let us go through our food storage, see what we have, and make a shopping plan to purchase the rest. We were actually a lot more prepared than I thought we were. I am proud of us for doing this, and excited to move on to lunches and dinners. Dave was a good sport--he didn't complain too much, and he is really good at figuring out how many cups of something makes a pound. He even got a little excited when we decided we could store enough sausage to put in breakfast burritoes. :)

Jed may be even more prepared than Dave and I are--as you can see, he's got his spoon ready to go while he nurses.

3 comments:

breanneryanmurray said...

my goodness! that is such a cute little pic : )

Tara said...

Hey there. Yeah, I have totally been thinking about food storage lately too! Although we are not as far along as you are. Holy cow, good job!! love ya.

Sylvia said...

If you want to save some time on your calculations then go to www.foodstoragemadeeasy.net they have a GREAT excel program that you can put all your meal ideas into and amounts and it does the math for you. It is also a good resource for your general food storage info. Good luck with the food storage!!!