Saturday, August 29, 2009

Recipe(s) of the Month

I realized that I forgot to do July's recipe of the month. So this month, I'm doing two. First off, one of my very favorite casseroles.

Chicken Tetrazzini

2 hand-fulls wide egg noodles
1 can mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ soup can full of milk
¼ C ham, in chunks (or ½ can ham)
½ can chicken (or ½ breast, cooked and diced)
1 green onion, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
¼ tsp Marjoram
dash ground pepper
½ C grated cheese
¼ C parmesan cheese

Bring water to a boil in a pot. Once water is boiling, add noodles and remove from heat (this will allow noodles to get almost done, and they'll finish cooking while in the oven. This way, your casserole is not too runny). In skillet, sauté onions in butter, add seasonings, add just the mushroom liquid. Blend in soup and milk until smooth. Stir 3-5 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms and parmesean cheese. Let sauce bubble for about 3 more minutes and add some of the grated cheese. Drain noodles, put into bowl with ham and chicken. Pour sauce over noodles and meats and put all into greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Cook for 35 minutes at 350 (you may want to cook longer if you made ahead of time and it is cold).



I love this casserole because it really doesn't take too long to prepare and has amazing flavor. It also freezes really well and reheats well too. Yum. Okay, next up, what just may be my favorite dessert.

Grandma Janet’s Lemon Bars

1 ½ C flour + 4 Tbsp flour
3/8 C powdered sugar
¾ C melted butter
4 eggs
2 C granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp lemon juice (from a fresh lemon is best)

In medium bowl, mix 1 ½ C flour, powdered sugar and butter. Press in bottom of cake pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. While crust is baking, in medium bowl mix eggs, granulated sugar, 4 Tbsp flour, baking powder and lemon juice. When crust is done, pour egg mixture on top and return to oven for 25 minutes more. When done, sprinkle with small amount of powdered sugar. Cut while warm—they are impossible to cut when cool.



I love lemons--they smell so great, they clean so well, they are so bright and cheerful in that bowl on my counter...I could go on and on. I think my favorite thing about lemons is that tangy zip they provide to every recipe they're in. You know, that little zing that makes the sides of your throat tighten up and your tongue just beg for more. Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking of them. Also, I have another reason for loving lemons:

I found this little beauty at Macy's when I was shopping with my lovely friend Tara in Utah. We took our babies to the mall and had the most fabulous time. Tara has always been the girl I go to when I want to make a purchase--she's always there to say "definitely, you can't live without that", whether it be shoes, a purse or...this. Anyway, yep, I'm in love with my new juicer. For another cool kitchen gadget I can't live without, click here. And please don't think I got mine at Macy's. KMart has them too--and the measuring cups, which are also fabulous!
*
Happy cooking!
*
(not that Macy's is a bad store. It isn't. Just...I'm trying to be budget-conscious.)

1 comment:

Tara said...

:) Well, you did need it, and it was a great deal!!