Sunday, September 6, 2009

Beaverhead County Fair

I have been waiting all summer for the Beaverhead County Fair. Finally, it is here and yesterday we went to walk around, see the animals, flowers, veggies, crafts, check out the carnival and eat cotton candy. That, by far, is my favorite part of the fair. I restrained myself in Big Timber and at the Utah County fair, so I definitely deserved my indulgence yesterday! We had a lot of fun and saw our share of wierdos for the summer :).

Jed doing his tongue thing in the stroller. He loved checking everything out.

Besides the cotton candy, my favorite part of the fair was the poultry barn. I want chickens so badly. SO badly. I cannot stress this enough. If you draw me for Christmas this year, remember: CHICKENS. (Okay, mostly I am kidding. I really do want chickens, but I am willing to wait until we have a place we can keep chickens. sigh.) I digress. We saw the greatest chickens in the poultry barns. There were tons! I had no idea so many people in Dillon have chickens and it only added to my longings for chickens of my own. Anyway, here are some of the best ones we saw:

I thought these guys were so beautiful. You can't tell really well, but their feathers were so soft and fluffy and the coolest mixture of gray, white and brown. And they had these great little fluffy bits over their feet.

Not chickens, but we loved these geese--their feathers are great. Dave kept daring me to try to pet them. Ha!

We saw so many great roosters, including this guy, who was so serene.

Isn't he beautiful? I kept trying to remember all the different breeds, but after a while I gave up. When I can have my chickens, then I'll get serious.

This isn't the greatest picture, but this guy's body was all white--only his tail and head are the mottled black and white.

Dave and I loved these ladies--their funny "cotton ball" heads had us laughing a lot. They reminded us of old church ladies, because they kept putting their heads together and clucking to each other.

I thought these ladies were really cool, too. I love their crazy black faces with their soft white feathers!

This guy was definitely my favorite rooster in the whole poultry barn. He was the grand champ and kept crowing to make sure everyone knew about it. What a gorgeous feller!

Jed really enjoyed the poultry and kept squealing and giggling at them. It was great to watch. He also loved the rabbits, which we went to after the poultry. There were some really beautiful bunnies--these are our favorites:

I thought their fur was the most unique color I have ever seen.

A really nice 4-H girl let Jed feel her rabbit and he loved it. He kept trying to grab the ears so I had to help him. You can see, he was definitely into that rabbit!

After the rabbits we went to check out the lambs, cows and pigs. We didn't get to see them all because the sale was going on, so the barns were pretty busy with 4-Hers getting their animals ready and exulting or lamenting over how things sold. But it was great to see more lambs and pigs. We liked these best because their black skin showed through.
*
After we saw all the livestock, we went to the barns with the canned and baked goods, the sewing and quilting, the flowers and fruits and veggies and the arts & crafts stuff. We saw a great display of succulent plants and had a lot of fun comparing our garden stuff with other Dillonites'.

This was our favorite picture in the art barn. I love the pig's spindly legs and the lamb's little tree-trunk legs. So cute!

We spent a little bit of time at the carnival and reaffirmed our decision never to become carnival workers. Dave and I are not creepy enough for a job like that! I was all for riding a couple of rides but they were really expensive, so we just looked around. And we weren't sure how Jed would handle things this year--maybe in the future.

Here's Dave and Jed in front of the carousel. Such handsome men! All in all, it was a really good day to get out and enjoy the fair. Hooray for fall and fairs and cotton candy!

1 comment:

breanneryanmurray said...

yay for fairs... LOVE them : )