Today is a "soup day" for me. My definition of a "soup day" is when it's cold outside, possibly snowy or rainy, and you just need to cozy up to a warm bowl of something. That's when I make soup.
It's also when my mom makes soup. Often I have called her to say hi and asked what they're having for dinner, only to find we're having the same thing. It's a little eerie, this mom/daughter thing. But it's also amazing. I am lucky to have the mom I do--she has taught me so many, many, MANY things. I love her lots.
Anyway, today's soup is potato soup, because I am still pressure-cooking the potatoes we harvested from the garden and I have potatoes on my mind. Here's the recipe for the best potato soup:
Potato Soup
3-5 medium red potatoes with skins
2 large carrots or 8-10 baby carrots
2 green onions
1 celery stalk (optional)
½ tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 can evaporated milk
½ C regular milk
1 tsp sugar
1/3 C shredded mozzarella or Colby jack
cheese
Wash vegetables. Cube potatoes, slice carrots and celery and chop green onions. Put in large pot with enough water to cover vegetables and add pepper. Cook veggies until soft. In small sauce pan, melt butter and stir in flour. Add evaporated and regular milk and stir until mixed. Add to pot with vegetables and stir to mix well. You can mash the soup a bit with a potato masher to give it less chunks and more thickness. Add sugar, then cheese. Return to a boil and cook for 10 minutes more.
I love to serve this soup with warm bread and maybe some salad. Mmmm, the perfect thing for a snowy day!
edited to add: Today I did this with 2 quarts of potatoes (they didn't seal--drat) and 1 pint of carrots instead of cooking my carrots and potatoes. I sauteed the onion with the butter and flour mixture in my large pot; added the milks and then dumped in the veggies. It worked SO WELL and took much less time. Fabulous!
1 comment:
How funny is that, we had potato soup this week too!!
Post a Comment