Tuesday, April 13, 2010

back in the saddle again

It has been two years since I last rode my bike. Can you believe it?! I have really missed it.

For the past, um, year or so, Dave and I have been trying to decide what kind of thing we wanted to get so Jed could come on bike rides with us. I was all in favor of those seats that mount behind the rider's seat, because that's what we had growing up and we spent many enjoyable hours in it. But I was a little worried about kicking Jed in the head while mounting or dismounting (not that it was something I wanted to do, but it is definitely within the realm of possibility when you're as coordinated as I am). We also like the look of the seats that hook on your handlebars, so the kid rides between your arms. But that one made me a little worried about crashes, because the poor kid is RIGHT THERE when/if you do crash. And I was a little concerned about balance issues with both of those options.

So...we gave in and got what Dave calls the Baby Chariot, although in the beginning, we said we'd never go that route. We looked around online and found one we liked all the reviews said it was a good one. So we picked it up yesterday, put it together last night (after Jed was in bed and while under attack from these crazy huge beetles that loved our porch light) and Jed and I took it for a test drive this morning.

The verdict?

He loves it! We went around the park and explored a couple of different neighborhoods and the whole time he was singing and listening to his voice bounce around and playing with all the straps inside. When we got back home and I opened the flap, he looked at me like "that's it? I want more!"

In fact, he cried when I took him out.

And I am SO happy to be able to ride my bike again. It was such a joyous reunion!

3 comments:

Amber said...

So fun! I am jealous! I want one, but I don't have a bike, so a little too much at once. Maybe someday. Looks like you're doing well. Miss you.

Tara said...

That is so cool! Haha, you make me want to get one for Lydia! But unfortunately I have no bike...

marshall said...

We have that same one!! if you want (later) you can also buy the attachments and make it a pushing/running stroller. Hope you're having fun down there