Saturday, October 16, 2010

living room makeover

Hooray! Our living room is finally painted and decorated. Here's how it looked before we moved in:

Dave primed it back in June so I didn't feel like we lived in a cave, and Monday we painted.

May I just pause for a moment to say...my husband is the best in the world. We opened up the paint cans Monday morning and the paint did not match the color chip we picked out. The paint in the can was PINK. Ballet slipper pink. So we had to drive 45 minutes to the Home Depot to have them change the color and the little man just couldn't find the color that I wanted. Right when I was tempted to despair, Dave found a color that he was determined would work. I was a little skeptical, but I was so ready to be out of Home Depot, so we just went with it. We came home and started painting and I was still worried, but the more we put on the walls, the better I liked it. It is definitely the color I was dreaming of all along. And as Dave has reminded me several times--he's the one who picked it out.

Anyway, finished product:

Someday, I want to finish stripping the piano (someone else already started) and paint it black. That is definitely a project for the distant future.



sorry this one's so dark--morning is the only time this room has really good light, but that makes it really difficult to take a picture of the wall with the window

Another project we've done that goes in the living room is this desk. It's been in the Scherbel family for years and Scott & Elsa were nice enough to give it to us when we needed a desk. Since it's so old, the paint was peeling and it had been doodled on by several kids not doing homework, so it needed refinishing. Dave stripped it all down and sanded it and I repainted it. We took Brasso to the handles and Dave scraped away at the worst junky bits with his knife. I am so pleased with how it turned out.

it's hard to tell, but it's actually a very pale blue now.

I am so glad we went to all the trouble to make this room look great. We spend most of our time here and now it is such a cozy, happy place to read and play and sing and wrestle together.

2 comments:

marshall said...

Holly, you and dave (and jed) do great makeovers...maybe the next time we need a room makeover we'll bring you back up here! (j/k) but you do inspire me to get my own projects done, instead of just thinking about them...I'll post them too, eventually. And it was great talking to you the other day.

carolee said...

great work on the living room! looks good. the post about jed riding the carousel made me laugh. :)