Monday, November 22, 2010

Grandma Donna

My Grandma Donna was killed in a terrible car accident on Friday afternoon. I have spent the weekend in shock, in mourning, frightfully busy, staying still thinking of her, planning a trip to Colorado for the funeral, and thinking of Grandma Donna's fabulous life.

There are many people I try to emulate in my life, and my Grandma Donna is one. She was so vibrant, so exuberant about everything she did. Her expressions and reactions to things were so real. She never did anything by halves--every experimental recipe, every bit of service, every project was embraced whole-heartedly and with joy. Although she was incredibly busy every day, everything she did really mattered, and she always had time to talk and laugh with her grandchildren. There are a lot of us, but she always took time to know the little details in our lives and they were important to her.

Grandma Donna was incredibly gullible, and the family loved to play tricks on her. One of my favorite jokes happened when we were staying with my grandparents on our move to Texas. It was April Fools Day and Grandma Donna and I had gone to a wheat class in the ward her niece and sister-in-law attend. We enjoyed the wheat class, talked to several people and then came home. My uncle Matt, who is one of the youngest brothers, called Grandma Donna once we got home and asked about Grandma's sister-in-law Margie, who we had seen at the class.

Grandma Donna said "Well, she seemed fine. Why?"

Matt said "On Facebook, Tara (Margie's daughter) said Margie was expecting again!"

I asked how old Margie is and Grandma Donna said "Oh, she's 65 at least!"

Grandma asked Matt "Do you really think Margie could be expecting? At her age?"

Matt said "Well, I don't think Tara would lie on Facebook, do you?"

Grandma said "What does Carol (my oldest aunt) say? Carol always knows."

"Well, you saw Margie at your class. What did she look like? Did she look like she could be pregnant?" Matt asked.

Grandma Donna exclaimed "Oh, I don't know! She had her coat on the whole time!"

Matt decided he'd call Carol and then let everyone know. Once the phone conversation ended, we talked about whether or not Margie could really be pregnant. Grandma Donna kept saying "Oh, DEar" in the way only she can, and then said "Well, miracles happen, you know. We've just been talking about Abraham and Sarah in Sunday School, after all."

The next morning, I came downstairs to find Grandma Donna on the phone with Matt again. She was laughing and saying "Oh, Matt! Oh, Matt!" Matt had called to say "April Fools!"

Now that my Grandma Donna has passed away, the thing that stands out to me about this story is that she was completely open to the possibility of a miracle. Grandma Donna had unshakable faith in Heavenly Father and His love for His children, and she knew that if He wanted to produce a miracle, He would. Many times, Grandma Donna was the means for bringing about a miracle for someone else, although she would just say she serving. Grandma Donna loved serving others and was never too busy to help where it was needed. She served as the Relief Society president in the ward several times and loved the people, members and non-, of the town. And they loved her back.

Grandma Donna loved the temple. She and my Papa served a mission in the Manila Philippines Temple and once they came home, they returned to their monthly service in the Albuquerque New Mexico Temple. She made so many friends serving in the temple and spread her love throughout the world.

I am heartbroken at the prospect of visiting my grandparents' home and not having my Grandma Donna's sparkle light it up. The thought that she won't be here to watch Jed grow, see Dave and I welcome more children into our family, see Hanna get married, just be part of so many family gatherings makes me weep. In many ways, she has been the glue that helped hold our big family together. I ache to think that I will never again hear her say "Oh GAWsh!" about something. I worry for my Papa--their love was a palpable thing, the kind of love that I hope Dave and I can achieve.

My Grandma Donna seemed to be tireless in her efforts to serve others. I know that she is serving and teaching now, on the other side of the veil. Although I would love to still have her with us, I know she is doing the work that she loves--helping others come to Christ. And I know that she is doing it with the joy, the buoyancy and the incredible enthusiasm that to me are the hallmarks of her life here on earth.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Holly, that made me just cry. I hope you are doing well and all of your extended family. Love ya.

Derik and Jessica said...

What a beautiful post Holly! It was so wonderful to have some time to spend with you and your family. We will all miss Grandma Donna dearly.