Jed's new stats...he weighs 30 pounds and is 35 and a quarter inches. We also had his hearing checked and it's not great. It's not even good! The test found a lot of fluid in his inner ear, which muffles what he hears and slows his language development--and allows him to develop those frequent ear infections. Our doctor perscribed a nasal spray which is supposed to clear out that fluid, and we have an appointment in 6 weeks to check his prognosis.
Honestly, although I'm frustrated that his ears are so bad, I'm relieved that something is causing his language delay. It's nice to have something to blame! I am praying that the nasal spray will clear out his ears, and I trust our awesome doctor to get things figured out. And, it's nice to be vindicated. While I know that boys develop language skills slower than girls, I also know that Jed is incredibly smart and wants to communicate. He babbles all the time and I just instinctively felt that he was having troubles hearing. Sometimes I can see such frustration on his face when he tells me something and I don't get it. I am so happy we'll be able to get him the help he needs.
Jed was such a good boy at the doctor's office. He was a total champ during his strep test and he was so well behaved during the hearing test. The nurse let him play with the light thingy as a reward!

Jed checked my ears, just like a good doctor.

And then he checked his own. I guess since we'd shoved a million different things in his ears, he figured that's where everything at the doctor's office belongs!
Since our doctor's office is an hour away and since Jed was feeling pretty good, we decided to run a few errands. Dave found Jed the cutest pair of shoes at Target:

Jed thought they were hilarious. He kept swinging his feet and giggling. My favorite part was watching the pom-poms swinging to and fro.
Even though I hate when Jed is sick, I really feel like this little bout of strep throat is an answer to my prayers. I have been so worried about Jed speaking and I am so grateful that we had the opportunity to see our great doctor today and talk with him about our concerns, and that we were able to get some answers. And, with two bouts of antibiotics in his system already, Jed seems like he feels much better. Let's hope he can stay that way!
1 comment:
I feel for ya with the ear infections! My little boys gets them ALL the time. The Dr finally had tubes put in. His ear drum wouldn't move at all, because of all the fluid. So he goes to speech therapy twice a week! Thank heavens for modern tech. I hope Jed gets feeling better soon.
Post a Comment