Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trip to Utah, part IV: Reception(s)

After all the fun at the temple, we headed back to Spanish Fork to do some last-minute reception setup. We were all so exhausted! I'm pretty sure that Scott and I were the only ones awake in our vehicle.

Two handsome sleepers!

Then we got to the church and the craziness began. We had set everything big up the night before, but there were still the last-minute things to be done. I so appreciated Dave taking care of Jed while I ran around slicing lemons, rearranging flowers and being my mom's Gal Friday. But all the craziness was completely worth it. The church looked so gorgeous!

My mom and Hanna found this guy to do the drape and it was so pretty.

(Obviously, this isn't the best angle on the drape) We turned the lights down lower after people got their food and it was so beautiful with the sparkly lights twinkling everywhere. The backdrop sat behind the head table for the wedding lunch and then Hanna and Stephen stood in front of it in the line.

My dad was the MC for the afternoon. Jed thought the microphone was pretty sweet and tried talking into it once.

I love how his eyes totally express his feelings after he heard his voice magnified all over the cultural hall. "Get that crazy thing away from me, PahPah!"

I did the flowers for the wedding. Did I mention that? I love doing flowers. It was a little stressful trying to get everything done in one afternoon, but I loved playing around with all the beautiful flowers and getting to know Stephen's mom and sisters, Camille and Naomi, while we worked. Every arrangement was different and I thought they turned out really well.



The sign-in table.

I hope Stephen and Hanna had fun at the Spanish Fork reception. We saw lots of family and friends from our old Highland ward and it was great to be able to see everyone and show Jed off for a while. He got tired, so Dave took him home and put him to bed, along with my camera, which explains why there's no pictures of Hanna and Stephen cutting their ice cream cake.

All in all, I think everything in Spanish Fork turned out beautifully and everyone had a good time. It was so great to celebrate Hanna and Stephen getting married!

We also had a reception in Broomfield, CO, where Stephen and his family are from. Jed and I drove with my parents to Colorado, did the reception, saw more family and were able to spend 3 more days together. That made more sense than flying from SLC and having a boring layover in the Denver airport.

The reception in Broomfield was beautiful. The best part was that Stephen's sister Naomi made Hanna and Stephen a wedding cake! It was Naomi's first cake and I thought she did an amazing job. It totally knocked my socks off!

She spent 2 months making the candy flowers, and she had to guess on the ribbon colors. It could not have been more perfect. And the best part? The cake tasted amazing. Naomi and I have decided we're going to open our own reception center. She'll do the cakes and I'll do the flowers.







We got lucky and were able to use many of the same things at both receptions. The table decorations and glassware traveled really well, and the flowers did too. I was pretty shocked at how well they did. They looked gorgeous and I was so pleased that we didn't have to fix anything. I had a little more time at this reception because a really nice lady from the ward who is a friend of my mom's from her BYU days took Jed home and gave him a nap and lunch at her house. It was so nice to know that Jed was having a good nap and I could take a deep breath for a few minutes. I even got to watch Hanna and Stephen cut the cake!


Stephen's family worked so hard to make all the desserts for the reception and every one of them tasted so good. My diet totally went out the window that day! But it was absolutely worth it.

Stephen grew up next to a woman who is a well-know harpist throughout Colorado. She graciously came and played during the reception. She was such a nice lady and her music was gorgeous. All the kids were pretty curious about the harp, and she took some time to show them about it and let them pluck the strings.

One of the best parts about going to Colorado was getting to see so much family. It was bittersweet without our Grandma Donna, but it was great to see everyone.

The couches were more comfortable in the foyer, and the kids were having a good time playing, so that's where we hung out.

The kids loved these rose petals and we loved watching them throw them at each other.

Marshall, Elyas, Luke, Elyan, Mitchell and Paisley (Jed was still having a nap).

After the reception, Jed and I ducked out of cleaning up (yahoo!) and went to eat pizza, play cards and go swimming at the hotel. Jed tried his first Shirley Temple and ate as much pizza as he could hold. We adults had fun in the hot tub and playing Apples to Apples.

This was the only way we could get everyone to go to bed--load them up and drive them to their rooms!

We stayed with my Uncle Mike and Aunt Michelle at their house. Jed loved playing with Marshall, Mitchell and Mikaela and all the toys. It was so great to see all the family! I'm so grateful for everyone who went out of their way to help out with Hanna and Stephen's wedding and for people who let us stay at their houses. I loved going back to Utah for a while, but it is definitely good to be home now!

No comments: