Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day Bash

Happy Independence Day!

We have made it a tradition at our house to host a 4th of July party. Our house is at the perfect location to watch the fabulous fireworks set off by the city, so we have lots of friends over, eat yummy things and enjoy the show. This year we asked all of our friends to bring popsicles and other icy treats and we provided cookies and drinks.

I loved the cover of this month's Martha and decided to attempt the cookies for the party. They turned out so well! I had a great time making these cookies and they tasted delicious.

The setup before the party.

Nothing says summer like pink lemonade!

I love the look of triangle bunting and I have wanted to make some for a long time. The party seemed like the perfect excuse, so I spent Saturday cutting and sewing and got it done. It was really easy and I love the way it turned out. I will put up my directions in another post.

Jed saw me pull out the popsicles and put them in the bucket and had to have one. I think he probably ate his weight in frozen goodness last night!

Texas is currently in a huge drought, and our county is in a fire-ban. The fireworks were allowed under pretty stringent conditions--we had the fire marshall come by our house to make sure we had the right type of shingles on our house--and Dave loved the lineup of the fireworks accompanied by all the heavy equipment necessary for putting out any fires that might start. Thankfully, everything went well and there weren't any blazes that needed to be suppressed.

The fireworks are the BEST I have seen anywhere, anytime. Seriously. They are sponsored by WalMart and Coca-Cola and I am not joking, they last for 45 minutes. And we are so close that it feels like they're going to fall right on you. It is a great show.

The show was so long that some of the littles actually fell asleep!

We all had a great time watching the show.



The flash diminishes the fireworks, but I love this scene of the kids swinging and watching the fireworks. Seems like something right out of The Sandlot.

"yay fireworks!" Jed loved watching the fireworks, as long as his blankie was nearby for the biggest booms. He was already in his pj's so he could go directly to bed after the show.

It was such a fun night! I love America and I'm grateful for our Founding Fathers and all the sacrifice that goes into making our country great. Happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

Tara said...

That looks like SO much fun!