Friday, September 2, 2011

the Big Texan Steak Ranch

On every drive to and from Utah etc, we pass through Amarillo and see the billboards for this restaurant. They advertise a 72 ounce steak that, if you eat it in an hour, you can have for FREE! We have wondered about it on every trip, so on our way home this time around, we decided to stay in Amarillo and eat there.

This guy is like 12 feet tall--definitely a big Texan!

I should have gotten a picture of all the cute buildings...anyway, they have a lot of other buildings around the back, false-fronted to look like an old west town. It's really cute.

now this guy would produce some big steaks!

Jed wanted Baby Bear to have his picture with the steak.

The atmosphere inside was part Cracker Barrel, part gambling hall, part race track. They had tons of kitschy Texas memorabilia for sale, like taxedermied armadillos drinking from beer cans and scorpion paperweights.

There were the craziest animal mounts, a roving western trio, and 6 clocks on the wall over a center table for those trying to earn free steaks. It was a madhouse.

I think they're trying to prove single-handedly that everything's bigger in Texas--these are our stuffed mushrooms we ordered for an appetizer. Soooo good!

All the insanity made it a little hard for Jed to actually eat, but he had a great time just watching everything.

If I'm completely honest, I have to say that the steak, although massive and cooked exactly as we ordered, wasn't that juicy. The sides were abundant and really good, and our server was awesome. But if I wanted to eat a really good steak, I'd just come home and eat at our local steakhouse. However, for atmosphere and gaudy Texas trinkets, you can't beat it. If you're in Amarillo and want a peek at the "real" Texas, definitely stop in. You'll have a meal to remember, for sure!

No comments: