Our C week hasn't been very exciting. We have done a LOT of things with cars--counted cars, sorted cars, read the Disney Cars books over and over, made a cardboard car (this was mostly me. Jed liked when we cut the circles for the lights and tires, but he refuses to sit in it, now that it's finished) and, of course, watched Cars a million times.
We have also read about chickens, cows and caterpillars. We made a caterpillar using the same craft we did last week for the butterflies...we just didn't attach the wings. Seems a little backward, yes? We made sugar cookies shaped like crocodiles. Once the cookies were baked and frosted, it was a hit, but making cookies with Jed can be an ordeal. He thinks that any type of dough should be immediately consumed once all the flour has been added, so getting him to help cut the cookies was frustrating for both of us.
I am toying with repeating C week, since I feel there is a lot more we can be doing. I would really like to work on Jed's letter recognition. I work all week with him using various types of media but he doesn't seem to really respond. I know he's not yet 3 and that we're doing good just to get in a routine of having some type of school, but I know he's smart enough to handle what I expect of him. He learned all his colors in a week, for Pete's sake! Yesterday, I laminated some tracing cards and bubble letters and I think we're going see if that helps.
3 comments:
Just be patient. Looks like you're doing some fun things! Kids learn (or their desire to learn) at different rates no matter how smart they are. Corbin is one to soak everything in. Spencer just likes to figure things out on his own (for now). Maybe it's age, but I think personality has a ton to do with it. My biggest fear is that I'll push them too far and they won't like learning before they even start kindergarten. Right now I just want it to be a fun experience for all.
We must have had the same brain wave. We just finished C week. The boys are really enjoying their "school" which really only lasts about 10-15 minutes. But hey. I made a calendar with removeable parts that everyday we change the day and the weather... and then they have a little book and once a week, I'll find them a bunch of clip art that starts with the letter of the week, and they'll glue in in their book. They love it. Just an idea if you run short. Hope y'all are having fun
Way to go on preschool with letter of the week! I think you're doing awesome, esp with him not even being 3. I'm trying to do a couple little preschool lessons each week to get my 4 year old ready for kindergarten! It's hard sometimes, but I think that what you're doing sounds great...learning is fun and it sounds like you're making it really fun for your little guy.
Post a Comment