Friday, October 28, 2011

easy spider-web craft

I spied the cutest, easiest Halloween craft on Pinterest and decided to tackle it. I am really not into goulish, gross decorating, but this picture frame with a spider web is right up my alley. First, I dug around in my stash and unearthed a couple of picture frames. I painted them with acrylic paint (the tutorial suggested spray paint, but I wasn't going to head to the store) and let the paint dry. While they were drying, I dug around in my yarn stash, then found my masking tape.

Next, I started stretching yarn across the frame to make the base of the spider web. I took some yarn out around the front of the frame for an overlapped look.

Once the foundation strings were all in place, I looped the circular string around one foundation string to make a knot

and then loosely wrapped the strings all the way around. No knots, except for when I got back to the beginning of my circle.

All finished!

The smaller one hangs on our side door

And the bigger one hangs on the front door. I guess I could cutesy them up a little with a ribbon or a plastic spider, but I am going for the less-is-more look. Actually, it's the less-is-all-I-can-manage look.

When I showed Dave and Jed the finished product, Jed immediately yelled "Pig!" and ran for the Charlotte's Web dvd case. Maybe I need to write "Teriffic" in my web?

1 comment:

Katie Groneman said...

Very cute idea, and well executed! But I do think it could use one tiny little spider. Maybe you could crochet one? :)