Tuesday, March 27, 2012

motor mouth

Yesterday afternoon I was planting a couple of new perennials into the flowerbed in the front of the house. Jed had his two Lightning McQueens and his Finn car and he was playing in the driveway, having a fabulous time. After I got done with my planting, we sat down on a blanket in the sun and just hung out--I was sort-of reading, but mostly watching Jed and we were talking. Jed asked for a drink, and when I gave him the water bottle, I noticed that his mouth was extraordinarily dirty.

There was a smudge on his nose, a streak on his chin, and could it be? a ring around his mouth. And it was black!

This picture does not do the smudging justice, but you can see the one on his nose clearly.

I wracked my brain...how would he get such marks on his face? And then, all of a sudden, it came to me. Jed loves to pretend he's Mike Wazowski from the movie Monsters, Inc. Any round object--a cup, a toilet-paper tube, a water bottle, becomes the "scream extractor" that is going to torture poor Mike. Jed must have been playing "scream extractor"...with the tailpipe of the Rodeo. Several times. And he must have missed a couple of times before managing to line his lips up with the hole of the tailpipe.

Oh, goodness, I love this adorable boy and his hilarious antics!