Sunday, May 13, 2012

Big News!

Well, you already know we're having a baby, so that's not our big news. What is it? Here's some clues:






STILL having a hard time figuring it out? We're moving to MICHIGAN! Dave is transferring to the Huron National Forest on the "mitten" of Michigan.

The little town we're moving to is Oscoda, right on the shores of Lake Huron. It is a bit of a resort town, and there's lots of fishing, boating, camping and hiking around there, plus cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling in the winter.

As usual, everything is happening pretty quickly--Dave's first day at the new forest is June 18th. Thankfully, our move will be a lot easier now since we're permanent USFS employees and they'll take pretty good care of us as far as moving our belongings and helping us get from Texas to Michigan is concerned.

We think we have found a house to rent, have been in touch with the branch president and Dave has talked with many, many people that he'll be working with. We are really excited for the change in our lives! I am a little nervous about finding a new doctor for our baby, but I know that everything will work out.

There are some things I will miss about Texas, definitely. First and foremost, I will miss the fabulous people who have become my dear friends. My life would have been so much more lonely and difficult had I not met them! I have become a better person for their influence in my life and I will miss them so very much. I will miss the long growing season we have here, I will miss the mild winters (well, maybe) and I will miss good steak! I won't miss the heat and humidity, nor will I miss the bugs that are waiting to attack at every turn--fire ants, ticks, squash bugs that suck my poor zucchini into oblivion, wasps the size of small birds, roaches the size of houses... But we have had such good experiences here and I know the Lord brought us here and taught us specific lessons we couldn't have learned elsewhere.

Even though the next month is going to be a whirlwind of craziness, I am so excited for the next chapter in our lives. Dave will have so many more opportunities at work and we'll all have a great time getting to know a new state. Stay tuned for many more Michigan adventures!

2 comments:

Tara said...

wow! Okay I am officially searching for jobs for Dustin in northern Michigan!!! congrats - that's so exciting. :)

Jeana said...

Holly, thanks so much for your nice comment on my blog! I totally remember playing with you all the time when I would stay with Anna! I'm glad the running tips helped you, you can totally do it! Especially for your first one I would recommend having the goal of crossing the finish line, and be proud of such a great accomplishment. Good luck with everything coming up in your life, that is quite the move and with a little one on the way. Keep in touch! (Thanks goodness for blogs)