Wednesday, June 20, 2012

sunset at Sturgis Point lighthouse

The night before Hannah left us (sniff, sniff), after we had our fire on the beach, we went to see the Sturgis Point lighthouse. We drove north on the coast road for about 15 minutes and there we were.

There is also an old school house by the lighthouse. It wasn't originally located there but when the lighthouse was decommissioned and turned into a historical site, they moved the school house so more people could actually see it.
I love the bell tower and the little well. It's so fun to think of little kids loitering there to avoid a spelling lesson. During the day you can go inside and see some of the old books and desks they have, but since we were there to see the sunset, all we could do was peek in the windows. We'll have to go back when it's open.

It was fairly late when we set out--the sun sets a lot later this far north--and Jed was a pretty tired boy after all his playing in the sand and hot dog eating.
He was mostly happy to hang out on Dave's shoulders.
We walked through a little path in the woods from the schoolhouse to the lighthouse and when we came through the trees, we were met by a beautiful sight:
I really want to come back during regular hours so we can go through. I would love to climb to the top and look out over Lake Huron and see how far I could see.
Even in the fading light, it was a really pretty place. It's a little hard to tell in these pictures, but all the windows have little red shutters and the top of the lighthouse and the roof of the adjoining house are painted red. It is so cute!

Finally, a decent family shot!




We had a good time throwing rocks in the lake and watching the sky change. Hannah and I foolishly abandoned our shoes in the sand and when the shore turned to rocks again, we were sad, so Dave went back and got them for us. What a sweetheart!

I am so glad we took the time to do some exploring. It was nice to have a peaceful evening before the craziness of the next day began, with the movers coming and taking Hannah to the airport. I can't wait to get unpacked and settled so we can get to know this new location even better.

1 comment:

elesa said...

Hey, I got your comment and I would LOVE to give you the finger puppet patterns. I just need an email address. You can email me at elesahag@blogspot.com. And I've been looking through your pictures from Lake Huron and I am just the tiniest bit jealous. So, so pretty.