I remember reading an article a while back about a family who had given their children "gender neutral" names and weren't telling people whether or not their children were boys or girls. The children themselves knew, but their parents were trying to raise them in a "gender free" manner. I remember thinking how foolish this was. I want my sons to know they're men, to understand their roles as future deacons, teachers, priests, missionaries, husbands and fathers. I want them to play sports and be confident with tools--manly things.
So I have had to laugh when the past couple of days, we have dressed them in decidedly girly fashion:
"Who can think of Miss Smith when Miss Woodhouse is near?"
With Jed, I didn't use the little sleeping dresses at all because I didn't understand the advantage. Hank spends every night in his "wee willie winkie" dresses and they make midnight diaper changes so much easier. This one looks a lot like one that Emma Woodhouse would favor--probably why Hank is so unhappy in this picture!
Jed wanted to keep his shirt clean on Sunday when he helped me make cookies. Initially I was wearing the white apron, but Jed liked the flowers so much that we switched. He is a great baker's helper, until the beaters get turned on.
No comments:
Post a Comment