Thursday, October 4, 2012

fun on the pier

Monday before Dave's parents left we went to the "big city" of Tawas to walk around and see some sights. We took Scott and Elsa to the harbor in hopes of seeing some of the big boats that we've been seeing all summer, but it was totally empty. Every boat (with the exception of a couple of speed boats) has been pulled out to get ready for winter. I guess it is October now and I need to accept that winter is coming, but I was disappointed. I really wanted them to see the huge boats there! We still had fun walking along the breakwater pier that surrounds the boat slips.
 Jed decided he had to be like Monk and he touched every inch of cable on entire pier.
 Some mallards dabbling near the water's edge.
 The cormorants were having a great time fishing in the harbor! We saw about 10 of them swimming around together.
 It wouldn't be a trip with Scott and Dave if we didn't find a survey mark somewhere! This was cemented near the very end of the pier over the water. I think a $250 fine is a little light for removing the mark--it would be a serious undertaking, considering the amount of rock surrounding it.
 Here's Jed on the return trip, still faithfully touching the cable. He only tried to fall in a couple of times.
 When we got done on the pier, we walked over to the sand to hang out while I fed Hank and Jed played. He had a blast--this boy just loves the beach. I am not excited for winter snows to cover up the sand. Maybe I can get him to feel the same about snow that he does the sand?
 He rolled and dug and had a blast. When we got home, his pockets were completely full of sand. I am going to start collecting it in a bucket. It shouldn't take very long before we have a full sandbox!
 After Hank ate, he needed his diaper changed. The sun was full in his face, so this was Dave's creative solution for keeping the sun out of his eyes.
Once the diaper change was complete, we all walked along the shore for a little while. It was slightly breezy but not cold and I was glad for the chance to take my shoes off and get my toes in the sand again. I love the beach as much as Jed does!

After a yummy dinner and a little bit of window shopping, it was time to say goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa. Jed was pretty sad and kept asking "where are Grandma and Grandpa now?" We explained they had to leave to get on the airplane and he wasn't happy. But he did get pretty excited when we told him we are going on an airplane soon too, to see Grandma and Grandpa and all our other family members. Only 15 more days!

No comments: