Wednesday, April 17, 2013

a "spring" ice storm

Last Friday we woke up to the most incredible ice storm! We had had rain for several days prior but it didn't drop down to freezing until Thursday night. I had heard about ice storms before but never experienced one til now.
 This was our view outside the kitchen window about 6:30. Thankfully, Jed didn't have school anyway, but we were a little sad because Friday is our day to go to the library and Goodwill (this is at Jed's request. I love me some thrifting, but it is Jed who begs to go) and the roads were definitely too slippery to drive anywhere. Plus, our car was frozen shut! Dave RODE HIS BIKE to work.
 As it got lighter outside, I began to see how beautiful it was. All the branches on the trees were encased in ice and icicles were dangling everywhere.
 I love how sparkly and furry this poor tree was--and how pretty the power lines became in all the ice.

We were very lucky--all the trees around our house didn't have any breakage. As we drove around Saturday, we saw so many trees with HUGE limbs broken off by the weight of the ice.

It was definitely pretty, but I am hoping this is our last ice storm for a while. I am ready for SPRING!

1 comment:

Alisha said...

I love that dave rode his bike to work! good thing work is fairly close. . .