Happy Father's Day yesterday! We had a nice easy day, although Dave might say otherwise--he had to speak in church. He did a great job, as always, and was amply rewarded by being able to come home afterwards so Hank could take a nap during the rest of church. I hoped Dave would take a nap too but he decided to make himself some cheesecake! We had the missionaries over later for grilled pork, roasted asparagus, rice, jello and cheesecake with strawberries. Not too shabby.
I was in charge of the Relief Society's Father's Day gift for the men in the branch. I decided to use baby food jars (since I have a million of them floating around) and copy an idea I saw on Pinterest. First I had to scrape off the last little bits of label and glue, since I wanted the jars to be completely clean.
The easiest way to accomplish this is to use Goof-off and rubbing alcohol. Moisten a cotton ball with Goof-off and rub until you can't see any more glue. Goof-off is also good for removing the ink that sometimes stays on the jars from the factory. The jar will still be slightly sticky, so remove any leftover glue residue with rubbing alcohol, again on a cotton ball. Then run the jars through the dishwasher to remove any leftover goof-off or alcohol. I wanted to paint the lids of the baby food jars, so I grabbed some yellow spray paint and went to town. It took me about three layers to achieve the darkness I wanted and make sure none of the lettering showed through. They all turned out really well.
After the jars were clean and dry, I filled them with Reese's pieces. Surprisingly, a baby food jar will hold almost a half-cup of Reese's pieces.
Once they were filled and the lids put on, I attached a small label. Avery brand has an online label maker that is so easy to work with and you can literally design anything you could dream of. I wasn't willing to spend all my ink on really amazing labels, but I am pleased with the way these turned out. They say "Happy Father's Day! We simply love you to Pieces!"
Although it did take a lot of time spraying the lids and cleaning the jars, it was only a small amount of time spread out over the whole week. Filling and labeling the jars only took half an hour. And it was totally worth it--the men in the branch were beyond pleased!
1 comment:
How cute! You went above and beyond by packaging them in baby food jars and even spray painting the lids. That's awesome.
Post a Comment