Thursday, October 17, 2013

New York Trip, part VI

After we got done at the Joseph Smith farm and the Sacred Grove, we headed to the Palmyra Temple. Dave and I discovered that our temple recommends expired the day before we left on our trip, so we didn't have time to renew them, and couldn't go to the temple. I was so sad! I like that we only need to renew our recommends every two years, but such a long time span makes it much easier to forget that they actually need renewing! At any rate, it was fun to walk around the grounds while we waited for Peter, Amanda, and Grandpa Zollweg to be done with their session.
 The temple is absolutely gorgeous, especially with all the beautiful fall mums in front.

 All of the windows have these beautiful trees in stained glass.
 Eva, Jed and Josh had a great time exploring the temple grounds.
 This is the field behind the temple. Palmyra is the only temple I can think of that has such a rural setting. All temples are peaceful and removed from the world, but this field makes it so easy to picture yourself in the time of Joseph Smith, and I think it is a perfect setting for this lovely little temple.

 I think this is my favorite picture from our whole trip. Grandpa Scott with some of the grandkids at the temple. This to me is the epitome of what the Scherbel family is about--family, faith and fun. I am so grateful to belong to this awesome group of people who truly know what life is about and focus on the things that matter.

No comments: