Saturday we headed to the Tawas Point State Park for their Christmas at the Lighthouse event. They were offering deeply discounted lighthouse tours, hay rides, and free cookies and hot cocoa. We were so excited!
We have been to the lighthouse several times but have never climbed it before. Last time we were there, a couple was getting married on the lighthouse steps! It is a beautiful little state park full of interesting sights and we really enjoy being so close to it. I love the wreaths on all the windows of the keepers' house. They look so cheerful!Despite the glorious sun in these photos, it was FREEZING!! So, so cold. We spent as little time outside as possible--we hurriedly snapped these photos and shuffled inside.
Jed was happy to be at the lighthouse and full of vinegar, as usual.
While we waited our turn to climb up the tower, we enjoyed poking around the lighthouse. Each room was set up in a different era and most had Christmas trees beautifully decorated. I managed not to get a picture of a single one, though! Dave loved this little cup--a mustache cup, with a mustache protector, to keep one's 'stache dry while drinking. I remember reading about one of these in one of my favorite books growing up and was delighted to see the real thing. I thought this quilt was beautiful. Such a fun idea for bringing together such disparate scraps. The edging is so gorgeous!
My men enjoying the "influenza" room. I assume it's been properly fumigated since the Spanish Flu epidemic of the 1890's.
Oh boy! Jed following the Lighthouse Elf through the door to the stairs. I loved this stone archway and the beautiful arched door. What a fun thing to have in your house! I would have loved to be the wife of a lighthouse keeper--provided the keeper was Dave.
I was absolutely dazzled by how beautiful these spiral stairs are. 85 stairs, 68 feet, three landings. And we climbed every bit of them!
Here is the view of Tawas Bay about halfway up in our climb. You can see how the sand has built up and extended the point a bit.
Once we got to the top, we were able to see the light itself. One side of it is surrounded by red glass and when the light is lit, it shines a red light, indicating that the area is dangerously shallow. The other side shines yellow, indicating clear passage is possible. The light was installed in 1885 and has been there ever since. It is now lit through electricity and not oil, but the glass hasn't changed a bit. Dave carried Hank the whole way up and back, and I helped Jed. Dave's arms must have been killing him by the end!
Once we got to the top, Jed had a good time peeking through the slits in the floor and seeing the stairs below us.
Here is a view of the lake side of the point. There is a long spit of land that kind-of curves back in towards the bay. It behaves a bit like a jetty, so the sand keeps building up behind the point, and the point keeps growing longer. On a previous visit to the lighthouse, we saw a series of pictures through the years with the sand and water growing further away from the lighthouse due to the sand buildup.
Another view of the lake side of the point. And in the bottom corner, an outhouse--one of the nicest I've seen (and used), in my outhouse-viewing career.
After we got done at the top, it was time to come back down the stairs. Jed did really good climbing up the stairs--he held on to the railing with his left hand and my right hand with his. He climbed in front of me and did great. Going down was a whole 'nother story! At the top, there is a trap door, and to get to the stairs, you sorta have to sit down on the edge and put your feet down through the floor and onto the steps. Jed was TERRIFIED. I finally had to grab him and force him to sit down on the floor, because I had already climbed through and turned around to help him. I let him sit on the floor with his feet on the steps for few minutes, and we said a little prayer. After that he felt a bit better, and we slowly went down the stairs one at a time. I walked backwards, holding his left hand in my right hand, and Jed came down forwards, with his right hand on the rail. He became more and more confident the farther down we got. I was proud of him for trusting me the whole way down.
Our cute family, sitting on the stairs we conquered!
After we thanked the lighthouse staff, we headed to the gift shop for some cookies. We enjoyed poking around and munching. Jed thought this moose hat was hilarious! And suddenly, he HAD to go potty. We headed for the outhouse at a run.
Dave snapped a few pictures while we were waiting for Jed to be done in the outhouse.
Hank does so well walking--usually. I love how Dave caught him mid-fall here.
I thought the grass heads were so pretty in the afternoon light.
We had such a fun day at the lighthouse! I am glad we braved the cold and went. It is always good to get out and see something new, even if it is chilly. I am so lucky to be the mama of my sweet boys and the wife of my awesome, handsome Davey!
No comments:
Post a Comment