Monday, February 17, 2014

another fun snowshoeing trip

The past two Saturdays we have gone snowshoeing, in part to get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine, and in part for a change to our exercise routine. We forgot to take our camera this past Saturday, but the weekend before (the 8th), we took enough pictures to make up for it. We dropped off our recycling and then headed out to the trail. We knew we would need to have a snack before actually setting out though. 
 Hank and Jed wandered around (Jed with the machete) while Dave got the fire going and I set out the lunch.
 Jed loves that machete.
 Oh, so glamorous. I got my coat in November for $14 when a store was going out of business and it is my favorite coat ever. It has so many pockets that I never need to carry a purse any more!
 Hank had so much fun standing in the snow pile and throwing the snow up in the air. He kept falling down, though, so he was only happy if I would stand behind him to keep him from toppling backwards. It was pretty cute.
 My handsome guys enjoying their hot dogs, crackers and veggies. After we got done with our food, we packed up and headed out. We went down a short trail and then came to this fun bridge. It took us a few minutes to negotiate it with the sled. 

 Jed really liked looking at all the tracks we found along this trail. The area seemed to be highly populated by squirrels, rabbits, mice, deer and lots of little birds. It was so fun to see all the tracks.
 The water was also really cool around this bridge. We had fun looking at it bubbling up in this little hole in the ice.


 I love this picture of my darling boy!




 We encourage Jed to walk as far as he can in his snow shoes. Some days he will go farther than others. This day, he went about half a mile. This past weekend, he went about 500 yards before giving up and begging to get in the sled. To be fair, it was about 20 degrees colder this Saturday than last. So, I don't really blame him.
 I love how cozy and cute the boys are when they're snuggled up in the sled together. Dave and I walked about a mile further once Jed was in the sled. Since the sled is so much heavier with Jed in it. I usually break the trail and Dave pulls the boys. I am not sure who works harder, especially in deep snow! It is a fun workout.
 On our way back, we saw this poor dead dear caught in this tree. We aren't sure what it was thinking--there is a much clearer path just to the left of where the deer tried to go. Poor, foolish deer!
.
 We negotiated the bridge again--it was much harder on the return trip, for some reason--and had a laugh about how Hank can sleep through being jostled and bumped in the sled but wakes up if someone gets up to go to the bathroom during the night in our house. It seems that the sled just lulls him to sleep, because he fell asleep on our trip this past weekend as well. He has been so sick lately that I am glad for any extra sleep he can get! We always have a lovely time when we're snowshoeing and are grateful the weather gods have seen fit to give us lots of opportunities this year!

No comments: