Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ear tubes for Hank

Yesterday Hank and I went to the hospital bright and early to have his ear tubes put in. He has been having lots of ear infections and although we aren't worried about his language development, we figured it would be better to have the ear tubes done now rather than later.
 We waited in the lobby for a few minutes and then they took us back to get him all ready for the surgery. The nurses and anesthesiologist were so great and they thought Hank was just the best ever. Hank was well behaved during the checking-in process, standing on the scale and allowing his vitals to be taken like a champ. 

He was so darling in his little hospital gown! He loved watching the little tv all by himself, too. After the doctor arrived, I said goodbye to Hank and the nurse took him down the hall for his surgery.

I have to say, it was much easier this time around than with Jed, mostly because I knew what to expect, and because we didn't have to get up at 4:00 in the morning to drive an hour and a half to the hospital! I was in the waiting room for about 20 minutes before they came to get me, saying Hank was starting to wake up. I wished I could have been in there to hold him before he started waking up, because although the nurse was so kind and concerned for Hank, he was not happy to be held by a stranger in his drugged state. After he woke up a bit more, we gave him some juice and got him back in his jammies. And then we were free to go home! He has to have ear drops for 3 days post-surgery, but other than that, we're back to normal. I am looking forward to no more ear infections for this boy!

2 comments:

carolee said...

Glad the process went smoothly! Hopefully no more ear infections!

Tara said...

yes, that is pretty cute!