Wednesday, April 2, 2014

recipe of the month

I found this month's recipe on Pinterest and have tweaked it a bit for us. Since we have to cram so much in our mornings, I am always on the lookout for quick and easy breakfast ideas. I like these egg "muffins" a lot because they are so portable and high in protein, and because they're very easy to make.

Egg "muffins"

1 egg for each muffin you want to make. ie, 12 eggs will yield 12 muffins
shredded cheese
salt and pepper
optional add-ins:
2-4 green onions, diced small
ham
bacon bits
sausage
diced bell peppers
shredded spinach
diced mushrooms
anything else you like to eat with scrambled eggs!

Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and spray with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, combine eggs and salt and pepper and beat with a fork to mix. Place your desired add-ins in your cupcake liners, filling about half-full. I highly recommend adding onions, even if you don't add anything else, because it gives the "muffins" a really good flavor. Layer cheese last. Pour eggs on top of add-ins, filling each to about 5/8 full. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until they are puffy and brown around the edges. These puff up like little souffles and then shrink as they cool.

Once mine are cool, I put them in baggies and keep them in a gallon freezer bag in my refrigerator. When you're ready to eat one, just pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and you're good to go. These make a great snack at 3:00 when you're dragging, too!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Yum. I will have to try these. I made some egg/ham/cheese pockets that are nice to just warm up in the microwave but they are a little more time intensive. These look like a good option for something easy and quick.