Tuesday, April 1, 2014

last(?) ski/snowshoe trip

Saturday the 22nd we woke up to a couple of inches of new snow. We decided we should celebrate with one last snowshoe/ski trip. Dave loves to cross-country ski; I do NOT. So Jed and I snowshoed. Anyway, we headed out to the Corsair ski area. Normally the area has very strict regulations about snowshoeing there (you're not allowed to) and they frown on sleds and pets because the trails are groomed strictly for skiing. However, since it is so late in the year and the snow is pretty mushy, we figured no one would object. Also, Dave is in charge of that trail, and if anyone objected, he was going to tell them to go jump in a lake. I was excited--I have been wanting to check out Corsair for quite a while.
 Getting ready to go

Dave doing a trial run on his skis. Jed had a great time chasing him around.

Jed loves the trailhead maps and always studies them out before we leave. You can tell Hank got impatient and Dave had to ski on ahead.

Crossing a pretty little stream


This is a picnic table near the trail. It's buried up to the tabletop!
After a while, Jed got tired of snowshoeing, as usual. We went on a large loop--about 3 miles altogether--so it was understandable. The boys are so heavy together that it was lots of work for Dave. We would let Jed ride for a while and then make him get out and walk, especially up the hills. Altogether Jed probably walked half of the way. He is getting to be such a good little companion in the woods!
Manly man!
Enjoying a little snack break. Soon after this, Hank was done and Dave skied pell-mell for the truck while Jed and I walked/ran back. It was a fun (hopefully) last snowy day in the woods!

No comments: