Friday, October 17, 2014

dinosaur footprints

On our way out of town, we stopped to see the dinosaur footprints. I remember going to see them when I was really young and I knew the boys would love them too. After a few wrong turns, we finally made it to the right place. You have to hike up a rocky wash about a hundred yards, but they are totally worth seeing!
 I'm sure Hank was thinking "they are dragging me up a mountainside again?! What is wrong with these people!"
 Jed and Nana by the footprints. They are kind of hard to see, so someone has circled them all with rocks.
 They are much easier to see if you pour some water in them. I find it so incredible to think that we were walking in the exact same place as a huge dinosaur did several million years ago. Thinking of how huge they were just boggles my mind!
 Jed, pretending to be a dinosaur. You can also vaguely see another dinosaur track in the foreground.
There are footprints left by two different dinosaurs preserved in the rock here. There are the smaller, clawed ones like the ones pictured above, and also some bigger, flatter, rounded ones, made by a stegosaurus-type dinosaur. I am not as up on dinosaurs as I should be, so I can't remember the names. Oops. The large divots you see in the picture above are actually dinosaur footprints.

If you're interested in checking them out, they're pretty easy to find. As you drive on highway 191 between I-70 and Moab, watch for the turn-off to the Klondike Bluffs bike trails. Once you turn east on Klondike Bluffs, follow the road until you find the small map kiosk and toilet. It's only about 3 miles out into the desert. A short hike up the wash and you're there!

No comments: