We are very blessed that Jed's teacher is absolutely perfect for him. She and I had a great parent/teacher conference two weeks ago. We were both happy to see that Jed's test scores have improved, although we realize that his intelligence will never be truly reflected by standardized tests. Autistic children just don't test that well, as a general rule. However, in things that are less easily measured by tests, Jed is improving vastly. He now wants to play in imaginative games with his peers. He LOVES art class, especially the modeling clay. His handwriting has improved greatly in the short time that he's been working with the occupational therapist at school. And--most exciting for me--he is more able to complete assignments without Mrs. Smith or the classroom aide staying right on top of him. I have also seen this at home--I can give him a task and he will complete it without me giving him step-by-step supervision. It is SO great!
The 2nd week of February marked the 100th Day of School! Jed's class had a Hundred Day Collection museum--each student made a collection of 100 things and brought them to school to show. Jed decided he wanted to do a collection of 100 cars. We found lots and lots of stickers and pictures of the Cars cars, and Jed posed with some of his very favorites. Then we stuck them all on a big poster.
Here is Jed with his favorite cars
And here is Jed's collection! That's a LOT of cars.
Jed got glasses at the beginning of February, as I mentioned earlier. He doesn't really love wearing them but I can tell they help him read. He is learning to take good care of them.On one of our many snow days, I used our little chalkboards to do some math with Jed. He likes addition more than subtraction but he did really well with both sets!
(I am so sorry this won't rotate) Jed came home with this cute little worksheet two weeks ago. As you can see, they were working on -ck endings. Jed appropriately filled in the -ck for each picture. And then, on the back, I found this:
Yes, that is a tick, full of BLOOD. Jed was so excited to show it to me! And I was excited to see it--he doesn't normally draw pictures very happily. And his handwriting is so great!
Jed is indeed doing well at school. I am so enthralled by this boy who marches to the beat of his own drum. He is absolutely awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment