Wednesday, September 24, 2008

what's been goin' on lately

Howdy all! I have been really bad about keeping up with everything going on in our lives lately, so this is my "repentance" post. I have a ton of pictures to put up here, so bear with me! These first are from Hanna's graduation back in May.


This is Hanna and her friend Erik. He has the bow on his head because our cousins Sydnie and Lauren Eppley gave Hanna a present with it, and Erik thought it was funny, so... And this is all of Hanna's wonderful-ness.

These next pictures are from camp. After a couple of weeks with the same staff members, you sort-of lose any inhibitions you may have had and just go for whatever. And this is definitely a go-for-it moment. Several of us had decided that we needed some banana and coconut cream pies that we knew were hiding in the refrigerator at the lodge, so we snuck in and got them, then went to my place to have our feast. There is only so much whipped cream and gooey goodness that you can stand, so, this is what we did with the rest:


Nick (in the first picture) took a lot of convincing that he wanted to put his face in the pie. But Alan was totally game, as you can see. And after Nick got going, he didn't really want to stop. So, yeah, cream pies late at night and scout uniforms... it was lots of fun!
As many of you know, BYU-I has pretty strict standards as far as dress and grooming are concerned. Dave's least favorite part of these rules are that his hair has to be above his ears. About three times a year, we get the clippers out and give him a going over. It's tough while we're doing it (I hate cutting off his curls as much as he hates having them cut) but then we don't have to do it for 4 more months. So, here's Dave in Almo in April with Hanna in the first picture with his long hair. You can see it really is long, since he has small dog-ears in his hair. And here's Dave on High Adventure with the scouts after his hair had been cut. At least he is happy in this one because he's getting to do some climbing. :)
These last pictures are from Almo this past weekend. The City of Rocks celebrated its 20th anniversary as a National Reserve, and Dave and I were invited back to help out with the celebration. We love Almo and all our friends there, so we jumped at the chance to go back. They kindly put us up in the Old Homestead Bed and Breakfast, and I loved it so much that I had to put some pictures on. The first one is of the outside of the house. That porch is great for relaxing on. We had a really beautiful evening sitting on the porch, listening to a great horned owl, and some cows too. The next picture is of the bedspread in our room. I love the colors!! Not to mention, the bed was really comfortable. The last picture is of me, writing a thank-you note in the guest book. I wasn't too keen on having this picture taken, but Dave insisited. I am feeling HUGE and don't really want everyone to see, but he told me "this is for posterity's sake" so I decided to let him take it.
Anyway, that's what we've been up to lately. Everything is going well for us. We are really enjoying life in Rexburg right now. Dave is taking Ecology, Wilderness First Aid, Mammalogy and GIS and then he will graduate in December. I am working madly on cards and embroidery, for sale in the Almo general store, and crocheting some baby blankets. Next post I'll show you what I've gotten done since camp. Our boy is doing great--he moves ALL THE TIME and loves his dad's voice a lot. We're so excited to see him in December! And, just to dispell a rumor floating about... Yes, we are using a midwife (actually, a couple) for this baby. No, we aren't having our baby at home. We're having him in a hospital. I like the midwives because they're women (I just think that a man shouldn't really be involved in delivering my baby--no matter how much he says he knows what I'm going through, he doesn't!) and because they're a lot more relaxed about things. Not to say they don't care, because they're wonderful and very caring and supportive. But the atmosphere of the office is very laid back and relaxed. And when you call with a question, you get to talk to them instead of a nurse. So, yes, we're having a midwife deliver our baby, and yes, it is in a hospital. I know Dave and I are kinda crazy, but not that crazy :)

3 comments:

Calene said...

You look great Holly! You will be glad that you took pictures even if you don't feel it right now. Baby Boy will be glad that you took a picture, also. I wish I had taken more.

For what it's worth, 3 of my 4 were born with a nurse midwife. It was a wonderful experience!! My 4th was born in Tennessee, and the midwives weren't allowed to practice like they do out here. It was a much different experience. You will be glad that you are using a midwife for all the reasons you pointed out.

Sylvia said...

Holly its great to hear how things are going for you and Dave. You seem quite happy. Its hard to look at yourself when you are gaining weight, even if its for a good cause. I share your dislike of pictures but seem to find myself in them more often then not. You look great though and I am way excited for you both to be having a little one join your family.

Janette said...

You have been doing so much!! And you will be glad that you have pictures of yourself pregnant I wish that I had more. And I think using a midwife is great. I had a really good friend use one here and she loved it. As long as it's in the hospital!! I would die if I did it at home that's for sure!