So, that's my finished Babbette for our little man. I am glad I have gotten it done this far in advance, so that I have time to go through baby clothes (thanks SO MUCH to all those of you who so generously donated clothes and cribs and... to our cause) and pack our house. Yeah, I know it's early since Dave doesn't graduate until December and we're not completely sure where we're going, but I'd rather get organized (and throw things out/give them away, much to my mom's chagrin) now than when I'm about to pop. Yay again for PurlBee.com for introducing me to this amazing pattern. I am totally hooked and don't know if I will ever make a regular granny square again!
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
As promised, our Little Man's babbette blanket!
Hi Everyone! I know, for weeks I have been promising to put on pictures of the Babbette blanket I was in the process of making for our upcomming baby. And, as the weeks went by, I didn't do it, and I didn't do it. But now, here they are!
This is the whole blanket, backed by our living room rug. I didn't realize they looked so well together until I was taking this picture... Anyway, the whole blanket measures about 3 feet by 4 feet. I used Lion's Brand yarn, the Vanna White special (who knew Vanna did yarn?) because I loved the bright colors and it is incredibly soft without being baby yarn. I got it at Michael's and am really pleased with the yarn. I first found out about Babbette Blankets through the PurlBee website (www.purlbee.com) and fell in love. I looked around for the pattern forever until InterweaveCrochet magazine took pity on me (and lots of others, I guess) and put the pattern back online, for $6.
Sorry it's blurry--I was in a hurry. Anyway, this is one corner of the blanket, and the edge. You can see I went around the whole blanket with the blue, pea green, red and brown yarns to finish it off. I think the square at the bottom left of this picture is my favorite on the whole blanket.
This is the back. My only complaint with the Interweave pattern is that it is not at all clear on how to sew the squares together. Since I have never done a granny or any other kind of squares-together blanket, I was totally lost. It took several tries to find a method I liked. Finally I just put the right sides of each square together and sewed back and forth with a huge quilting needle. But it lays flat (one of my other attempts resulted in huge puckers!) and looks awesome, even from the back side. Love it!
So, that's my finished Babbette for our little man. I am glad I have gotten it done this far in advance, so that I have time to go through baby clothes (thanks SO MUCH to all those of you who so generously donated clothes and cribs and... to our cause) and pack our house. Yeah, I know it's early since Dave doesn't graduate until December and we're not completely sure where we're going, but I'd rather get organized (and throw things out/give them away, much to my mom's chagrin) now than when I'm about to pop. Yay again for PurlBee.com for introducing me to this amazing pattern. I am totally hooked and don't know if I will ever make a regular granny square again!
So, that's my finished Babbette for our little man. I am glad I have gotten it done this far in advance, so that I have time to go through baby clothes (thanks SO MUCH to all those of you who so generously donated clothes and cribs and... to our cause) and pack our house. Yeah, I know it's early since Dave doesn't graduate until December and we're not completely sure where we're going, but I'd rather get organized (and throw things out/give them away, much to my mom's chagrin) now than when I'm about to pop. Yay again for PurlBee.com for introducing me to this amazing pattern. I am totally hooked and don't know if I will ever make a regular granny square again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is very pretty! and a lot of work. I am sure your little one will like it very much.
Holly, that's beautiful!! Now I want to make one... :)
Very cool blanket, it looked like it was a lot of work. I couldn't even think of doing something like that, I just sew with a machine!! Have fun getting ready for the baby. It's lot of fun.
Post a Comment