Thursday, August 20, 2009

what it takes

I have a quote on my refrigerator that my dad loves and has been asking for, so I thought I'd post it here for everyone to see.

It takes
Independence of Mind
Honesty of Heart
Faith in God
Firmness of Character
to live the life of a Latter-day Saint
in the face of a frowning world,
and in the midst of trials
and troubles and persecution.
*
Wilford Woodruff
January 31, 1882
*
I absolutely love this quote. It seems to grow more and more applicable each day as I read about decisions being made in our country. I hate what I hear about the "conservative right" being called evil and villified. Since when is it so wrong to stand up for freedom of choice, speech, the right to bear arms and make our own decisions? Aren't those values that our Founding Fathers fought for? When I was younger, I used to think that the stories in the Book of Mormon were good lessons but that we'd never be in situations like that. Now every page I read reminds me of something going on in our country today. I hope that I will have the independence, honesty, faith and firm character to keep my little family on the road to where we want to be.

No comments: