Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Say, mister..."

Monday Dave headed off to work like a good boy. At 11:00 he called me and said that he was coming home for lunch and staying home...because he didn't actually have to be there that day. I was so excited! I love having my Davey home.

In my perfect world, we would be self-sufficient from our garden and our chickens and our cow and Dave's hunting and we could play with our kids and go on fun expotitions and garden and I could make cards and cook and sew and he could carve on bows and blacksmith all day long. That's not going to happen for a while, though, so I will take what I can get and have my Davey home whenever I can.

Monday was such a good productive day for us. We dug all our potatoes. We had tons! And they are massive! We pulled down all the pea vines (farewell, lovely peas!) and pulled up the cornstalks and used them to cover the remaining beets and carrots, which I want to leave in the ground for as long as possible. I cut the last of my sad sweet peas. It wasn't fun. I love sweet peas and I want them to stay as long as possible. But now I have them on my table. And they smell so good! We blew out our hoses and hung them up for the winter in our little storage shed.

Then we went to get wood. Dave said the guys at work had been cutting down hazard trees and bucking them into managable sections and there was a huge pile at one of the campgrounds and that the wood was free for the taking. So we went to get some, because there is a little wood stove downstairs and because we can't pass up anything free. :) We drove up in the mountains where there is lots of snow. Seriously, about a foot already. It felt to me like it was December and we were going to be cutting down our Christmas tree. I wanted to listen to the Carpenters and drink cocoa. We got a truck-full of wood and headed back down.

On the campground road, there are little pastures and ranch houses every so often. A lot of the pastures had cows or horses in them, probably ready to come down where it's warm. At one that we passed coming down, there was a mare and a little mule colt standing by the gate. We got to talking about why mules are called mules instead of "dorses" or "honkeys." Dave said he is going to start calling them honkeys. He put on his best "I don't know anything about stock" accent and said "Hey, mister, that sure is a good-lookin' honkey you got there." I about peed my pants laughing. I laughed so hard tears ran down my cheeks and my sides hurt and I had to gasp for breath. Jed started laughing with us just because it was funny. And the whole way home, one of us would look at the other and say "honkey" and it would start all over again.


Yesterday Jed and I washed jars for a long time. I am getting ready to can all those potatoes and make applesauce, so I needed clean jars. And then we went outside and rolled in the leaves. Jed ate leaves and loved it because I didn't take them away. Soft leaves never hurt anybody. And then we came in and drank cocoa.

1 comment:

marshall said...

just got a chuckle out of your last paragraph...it kind of sounds like you're going to make applesauce out of your potatos!! I'd love to learn that trick.